Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Both door mirrors not heating and throwing fault codes

Hello!

First, I would like to say hello to everyone as I am now the proud owner of a 2005 Boxster S. I've owned many classic British cars and VWs but this is my first foray into the land of Porsche. Anyway, on with my question:

I am sorting through some of the small issues since I picked up the car. One mystery is the fact that neither of the door mirrors are receiving current for heating, but the rear window defroster is. The button for the rear defroster lights up and the rear glass window gets warm, but I checked the current across the connectors for both right and left mirror—nothing. Fault codes are also being thrown for both mirrors around the heating. Since both the rear window defroster and the mirror heating elements operate off the same switch, I’m assuming there must be a junction somewhere that I can look at? Also, what should the current read across the two connectors? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

StephenHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

As you have been told elsewhere, the mirror heating is part of the door control unit.

You may likely need a PIWIS tester to further diagnose or to reprogram the door control unit.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As you have been told elsewhere, the mirror heating is part of the door control unit.

You may likely need a PIWIS tester to further diagnose or to reprogram the door control unit.
Yes, I understand that the mirror heating is part of the left and right door control units but I am having a really difficult time believing that both units are faulty. I have a Durametric Pro and can see that there are fault codes appearing for both left and right heaters. Since it's happening to both, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this issue before. Like I said, I am not seeing any power going to the connectors at the mirror end at all. Is this is situation that can only be solved with a PIWIS?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHall View Post
Yes, I understand that the mirror heating is part of the left and right door control units but I am having a really difficult time believing that both units are faulty. I have a Durametric Pro and can see that there are fault codes appearing for both left and right heaters. Since it's happening to both, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this issue before. Like I said, I am not seeing any power going to the connectors at the mirror end at all. Is this is situation that can only be solved with a PIWIS?
If it involves the control unit programing, yes.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If it involves the control unit programing, yes.
Ok thank you. Hopefully my local Indy has access to one.