Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Tip issues

Good day everyone, first post on here (I think), coming from the 996, 944 & 955 side of things on Rennlist.

Anyways, I bought a base 97' 986 Tiptronic from an auction last week...well it arrived today. It was supposed to run & drive, well it runs, but doesn't move but a few inches forward or reverse. I got it for a pretty good deal, in hopes to clean it up, do some minor maintenance and sell it after a bit of use.

So being it is a tiptronic I'm at a bit of a loss. My other Porsche's, hold for the Cayenne's have been manuals. Is this a common failure thing, to not move in drive or reverse?

Any quick fixes you can think of, like a fuse, lock underneath, etc? - Thanks in advance.

Last edited by williamr91; 09-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.
williamr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Welcome.
You might try changing the trans fluid and filter. It worked for Edd.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

I saw that after posting. It just seems too easy of a fix lol. I would be happy if that is the case. Haven't done it before, but I'm going to give it a shot.

So you think a car that basically doesn't move might work after fluid & filter change?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Welcome.
You might try changing the trans fluid and filter. It worked for Edd.

I saw that episode on Velocity last night! Mike and Edd's Boxster had a loose magnet in the sump and there were no ferrous metal bits clinging to it. If all of the tiptronic transmissions have that, maybe it would give you an indication it there is something more serious?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr91 View Post
I saw that after posting. It just seems too easy of a fix lol. I would be happy if that is the case. Haven't done it before, but I'm going to give it a shot.

So you think a car that basically doesn't move might work after fluid & filter change?
It's possible if the fluid is so old it's lost it viscosity or is extremely low. Worth a try - all you're out is some time and several qts of fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I saw that episode on Velocity last night!
Yeah, it was Porsche night for WD. They had the 914, 986, and 993 episodes on. Bet they wish they'd have kept the 993.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 09-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Having both forward and reverse gear blown is rare...it's mostly one or the other

can you push the car forward/backwards in neutral? Brakes anything seized/stuck?

Are you actually getting into gear/reverse? Is you linkage still physically working? You can check right above/next to the tranny
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Thanks GeeTee, not sure about the linkage, I haven't had a chance to lift it up yet, but plan to asap. Where would I find the linkage, can I remove the center console and look from the inside, or is it underneath?

I have all the parts on order to do the trans filter & ATF change, which I hope to do this week.

Thinking about when it was coming off, I heard it start right up, sounds good, when the driver put it into reverse I heard a few clicking/popping (hard to describe) sound, perhaps it pulled out of the linkage at that point?

Yes it rolls fine in neutral and the brakes stop it when it's being pushed, so no issues there.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

could be a bad CV Joint..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr91 View Post
"When the driver put it into reverse I heard a few clicking/popping (hard to describe) sound", perhaps it pulled out of the linkage at that point?
William, the clicking and popping noise you are describing, could also suggest a failed CV Joint... that would explain the lack of movement (and easier than a tranny issue)

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

Thanks for the help so far. Well I go to jack the car up and my stands are too high for my 2 ton jack... get into the car and notice the parking break lever is not working, the button is stuck. I push it up and down and the button releases.

Turn it on and the car moves! Albeit very slow, i rev to 2krpm and move a few feet in drive and reverse.

Pull my codes and got a few (mass air flow, system too rich type error) and also p0722. This code seems to be a tcu issue. With the recent update does this sound familiar to anyone?