Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #1

Another problem with the Boxster.....

Im begining to hate my car. Its fun to drive although really slow its still fun with the top down.

My new problem is my ignition, I turned off the car and the steering wouldnt lock and the radio stayed on. After an hour of fighting with it I just got all the power to turn off. I called Sunset Porsche and he says it could be the housing that the ignition is in so it doesnt need rekeyed. Before I spend 82.00 plus shipping what are your thoughts?
My next problem is getting the housing out, I looked in my repair book and it says to use a paper clip with the key in the on position blah blah blah anyway my paper clip broke somewhere in my ignition. It just didnt line up with the key in the FUC#*%& on position.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #2

I'd lean more toward the ignition switch. It's a cheap, plastic part that causes all kinds of trouble. Electrical gremlins all over the place. Some of the problems caused by this that I've seen are key getting stuck in, key won't go in, key won't turn, A/C won't work, dash lights flashing, etc.

That's a cheapo part you can get at the local VW dealer if you need it now or go to your local auto parts store and have it in the next day or two for about $30. Some have found them as low as $10 on eBay.

The part number on the switches I bought is 4A0 905 849 B. I got three so I have them on hand in the future. Porsche does not carry the switch any more because they redesigned it and now they only replace the whole locking mechanism with the new switch.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #3

IGNITION SWITCH............. buy it off ebay for like 20 bucks. I had the same problem, a bunch of electrical problems on top of the radio not going off, and steering wheel not locking. It is a rather cheap fix even if you do not do it yourself.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #4

Thanks, I ordered one from E-bay for 20 bucks. Im a pretty mechanical guy I dont know why I couldnt get the switch out. I dont really understand the set up. So the tumblers are inside the switch? My holes never lined up for the paper clip need a close up pic of what the heck to do.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Thanks, I ordered one from E-bay for 20 bucks. Im a pretty mechanical guy I dont know why I couldnt get the switch out. I dont really understand the set up. So the tumblers are inside the switch? My holes never lined up for the paper clip need a close up pic of what the heck to do.
Hi,

"What we got here is a failure to communicate..." Strother Martin as the Captain (Cool Hand Luke - 1967)

I think people are talking about two different things. Several are referring to the electrical Ignition Switch (which installs on the rear of the Ignition Lock) while the lister is describing the Ignition Lock (what with the Steering Wheel not locking, and not being able to free the tumbler).

I'm betting that it's both, but it's worth simply trying the electrical switch as it's the easiest and the cheapest to replace. But, something tells me this may not solve the problem(s), in which case, you move to the Ignition Lock. Hope I'm only half right for your sake. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6

"My new problem is my ignition, I turned off the car and the steering wouldnt lock and the radio stayed on. After an hour of fighting with it I just got all the power to turn off."

Same thing just happended with my 98 boxster - and I just bought a ignition switch off ebay for $16.00

Thanks - this forum has really helped me out ---

400ERACER is offline   Reply With Quote