Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #1

Ceramic coating headers?

Has anyone ever heard of or tried having a ceramic coating put on the headers to decrease the temperature in the engine bay for colder intake air? It sounds like an interesting concept but with the intake being sealed off pretty well I'm not sure how much it would actually help???

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #2

Hi,

There are lots of Header coatings on the Market, most famous is probably Jet-Hot. Many of these are aesthetic and that's why lots of people use them. But some are functional.

I had the Cast Iron Header on my Lotus Esprit ceramic coated specifically to reduce Engine Bay Temps. I used a company called Hi-Performance Coatings (www.hpcoatings.com) and used their HiPerCoatExtreme coating. This reduced the skin temp of the Header by 50°F and the Engine Bay Temps by 37°F (though I also did the Turbine Housing on the Turbo for the same reason). Their work was excellent, decent price, good warranty, and fast turnaround, I would recommend them.

They claim a slight HP increase due to greater EGT and increased Scavenge effect. I did several other mods at the same time, so I didn't have a proper baseline with which to measure this. My mods increased HP by 38HP in total, how much, if any, was due to the ceramic I cannot say, but maybe 1-2HP tops. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-24-2006 at 01:09 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #3

My Buell's exhaust pipes are Jet Hot coated and it does keep the temp down quite a bit.

Of course, the heat goes to the muffler and on my bike, that is a good thing. I have no idea if that is necessarily a good thing on the Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote