986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Key repaired, still won't sync. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/68480-key-repaired-still-wont-sync.html)

Fodoposto 08-26-2017 11:31 AM

Key repaired, still won't sync.

Purchased a 2000 Boxster S a few months ago and have been addressing some of its issues with the help of this forum. After replacing the fuse in the immobilizer I was able to lock the doors using the key. Until that, the passenger door could not be locked. Although the key transmitter would light, I was unable to sync it to the immobilizer. I sent the key's circuit board to particlewave to see if it was at fault. He replaced the two buttons and soldered some broken connections. I tried all the syncing methods I've read about. Key in ignition on, off, press button within 6 seconds. Key in door, unlock, press button. Reverse battery, press button, wait 10 seconds, reverse back. Nothing worked. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be?

Thanks,
Richttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1503775860.jpg

Luccia at Pelican Parts 08-28-2017 07:46 AM

Welcome! Sorry, your thread was stuck in moderation so just giving you a friendly bump back to the first page. Don't forget to check out our free tech articles while you work on your issue and I'm sure more community members will chime in with help for you as well. I am here if you have any parts or forum questions.

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Swhitcomb 08-30-2017 08:58 AM

Must be a black boxster thing. I sent him my immobilizer. He cleaned up the circuit board and tested it. Worked fine for him. I'm getting 2 error codes and it won't unlock with the 3rd party key fob.

Fodoposto 08-30-2017 10:02 AM

I hooked up the durametric a couple months ago and was code free. Will need to check again. I knew this was an issue when I purchased the car. The previous owner had taken it to the dealership and spent $700 on "something in the doors." No repair invoice to check what was done. My first new car was a 1977 Toyota Celica Liftback. Waited 3 months and paid full sticker to get a black one. Still my favorite car color.

ECU Doctors 08-30-2017 01:25 PM

If 1 of the 2 doors are working then it's got to be the door's actuator, not your key fob.

Can you open both door locks from the inside cabin switch?

Fodoposto 09-01-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors (Post 548474)
If 1 of the 2 doors are working then it's got to be the door's actuator, not your key fob.

Can you open both door locks from the inside cabin switch?

After replacing the fuse in the immobilizer both doors will lock using the key and the inside cabin switch.

ECU Doctors 09-05-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fodoposto (Post 548731)
After replacing the fuse in the immobilizer both doors will lock using the key and the inside cabin switch.

What! Really?

That fuse powers the entire unit. If the fuse was bad, none of the Immobilizer functions of the car should have been working. Strange.

I wasn't there to see what happened, but I can suspect that it was really a bad connection from the harness to the control unit.

While you were changing the fuse the connector "re sat" perfectly again getting everything to work properly.

Anywho...everything is working again. Good job!

Fodoposto 09-11-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors (Post 549061)
What! Really?

That fuse powers the entire unit. If the fuse was bad, none of the Immobilizer functions of the car should have been working. Strange.

I wasn't there to see what happened, but I can suspect that it was really a bad connection from the harness to the control unit.

While you were changing the fuse the connector "re sat" perfectly again getting everything to work properly.

Anywho...everything is working again. Good job!

Thanks for your response ECU Doc. You're probably right about the connector being reseated. However, while the door locks and dash button work, the key fob still does not.

ECU Doctors 09-19-2017 01:58 PM

Fodoposto,

Try opening the fob and resitting the battery to see if that's any help.

Otherwise, it may need some TLC from us to revive it.