Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Frunk wont release

My box has started to have a problem. I can no longer get into the frunk without using something to pry it open (plastic of course).

Here is what it used to do: Press the release button and hear a click. Frunk then is partially open and you can get your fingers in there to activate the release lever and open the frunk.

Here is what it just started to do. Press the release button and hear a click. Frunk stays closed but you can use a trim removal tool to raise the frunk enough to get your finger in and activate the relase lever to open the frunk.

Of note: I had the clear bra removed and replace about a year ago and ever since, closing the frunk was a little more difficult. Other than that, I cannot think of a reason why this is happening.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

Garage
Yes. Lube your latch. A good bicycle chain lube will work. Don't use WD 40.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Yes. Lube your latch. A good bicycle chain lube will work. Don't use WD 40.
I have some good bicycle lube. Prolink Bicycle Chain lube. I assume that I just squeeze a bit into the latch mechanism. Any particular location?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
I have some good bicycle lube. Prolink Bicycle Chain lube. I assume that I just squeeze a bit into the latch mechanism. Any particular location?
You want to get the lube onto both sides of the latch pawl so that it spreads to the housing. If you look closely at the slot in the latch housing you will see the latch. to the right is the rivet it rotates on try to get to there.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If lubrication doesn't solve the problem, you will need to replace the actuator.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?

Last edited by NewArt; 08-03-2017 at 05:39 PM.
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
Prolink is way too thin. It will evaporate or wash away in no time. If you're a cyclist, use Phil's Tenacious Oil, Chain-L No. 5 or something else a little thicker.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Garage
I had the same problem recently. Seemed to occur mainly after the car sat in sun for awhile and temp was above 90 degrees. I lubed the latch assy. pretty good and activated the actuator several times with the hood up. With each successive activation the actuator motor became noticeably weaker. Replaced the actuator (easy fix - 10 min. total) and hood/latch assy. now operates according to designed intent.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
I had the same problem recently. Seemed to occur mainly after the car sat in sun for awhile and temp was above 90 degrees. I lubed the latch assy. pretty good and activated the actuator several times with the hood up. With each successive activation the actuator motor became noticeably weaker. Replaced the actuator (easy fix - 10 min. total) and hood/latch assy. now operates according to designed intent.
Thanks for the tip. I am not sure what the process "should" look like. I have sprayed lube into the latch and I still cannot get the hood to close beyond the first latch. Here is a video of the process. See anything obviously wrong?

Frunk latch problem
Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Replace the latch.

You can screw around with it with lubricants but you won't fix it. Replace and move on...easy, inexpensive dyi.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Replace the latch.

You can screw around with it with lubricants but you won't fix it. Replace and move on...easy, inexpensive dyi.
This assembly only or should I include the actuator assembly as well?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #11

Garage
You are going to have to remove the plastic trim piece covering the latch assy. to effectively lube the latch assy. and see what is/is not operating properly in that area. The fact that the hood is not latching completely indicates the rubber bumpers are not adjusted properly or the latch assy. is not adjusted properly. There is up and down adjustability in the latch assy.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
You are going to have to remove the plastic trim piece covering the latch assy. to effectively lube the latch assy. and see what is/is not operating properly in that area. The fact that the hood is not latching completely indicates the rubber bumpers are not adjusted properly or the latch assy. is not adjusted properly. There is up and down adjustability in the latch assy.
OK. I will try to do that when I return (I am out of town) next week.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #13

Garage
There seems to be some conflicting info here. It appears by the video that somehow the pawl in the latch is now in the latched (closed) position. The latch is now preventing you from closing the hood. You will need to identify the latch pawl in the slot of the latch. Remove the plastic trim piece so you can see what you're doing. Once you identify the pawl, get something in to pry upward on it and then hit the hood release. The pawl should then rotate out of the way into the open position. The pawl is what needs to be lubricated so the spring doesn't have to overcome the additional friction. Good Luck.

Last edited by 911monty; 08-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #14

I was able to fix the problem. The spring in the latch had worked its way out of the hole and therefore would no longer latch. I was able to fix the spring and the frunk now operates correctly.