986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Changing brake rotors and pads (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/68399-changing-brake-rotors-pads.html)

TomKimbrough 08-21-2017 05:16 AM

Changing brake rotors and pads

I will be changing all rotors and pads on my 986 soon and I want to know if I have to also change the brake pad sensors

DrCactus 08-21-2017 05:35 AM

When I changed mine I did not change the sensors... I changed them once in 16 years

Deserion 08-21-2017 06:21 AM

Only if the sensors are worn (brake wear light is on) or the plastic is brittle.

dghii 08-21-2017 03:13 PM

For the inexpensive price of the parts, and the 5 minutes of labor to replace while doing this job, buy new sensors. You can replace them easily after the fact if you decide to try to reuse but as mentioned, its easy to brake one due to age of the parts.

You can always compromise and buy two to have on hand if you need them.

Also, if safe and possible, start your car after reconnecting what ever sensors you use (original or new) to make sure connectors are seated prior to mounting your tires....might save you a few minutes later down the road!

itskenallen 08-21-2017 05:29 PM

If the brake light wear light hadn't come on, the sensor wear surface will be good.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

Rotmilky 08-21-2017 06:04 PM

I find removing the sensor to be a pain in the rump. I'm guessing all the brake dust tends to seize mine in place. Maybe there is a better removal technique than to get gorilla on them (which leads to broken wires). I just get new ones so I don't have to try to keep from breaking them.

Pdwight 08-22-2017 01:46 PM

Shims

Get new ones...

JayG 08-23-2017 10:15 AM

Don't even bother with them.

If they are all good, cable tie them off and if you have a bad one, just strip the wires and solder them together.

Its easy enough to see the pads and you can see when they are worn

Anker 08-23-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotmilky (Post 547562)
I find removing the sensor to be a pain in the rump. I'm guessing all the brake dust tends to seize mine in place. Maybe there is a better removal technique than to get gorilla on them (which leads to broken wires). I just get new ones so I don't have to try to keep from breaking them.

Pull them out with needle nose pliers. Works every time. Pulling on the wires is a recipe for trouble.

TripleTrophy 08-23-2017 05:35 PM

I had trouble getting the first one out until I figured out how to do it, and ended up pulling on the wire and bending the unit, damaging it. Not a problem since I had planned on replacing them.

dghii 08-23-2017 06:17 PM

OP, your are getting yes and no responses....and all are correct! It's up to you of course.

Either way, as I mentioned before, try to start your car and look for a light before you take the time to put the wheels back on.