Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Garage
Car Covers

I have been debating about a car cover the past three years, and think, after the dirt the car accumulated last winter (I park it sometime in December, and bring it out in March, in part to avoid winter tires and wheels), I am thinking of springing for one this year (and Pelican are not helping me in avoiding one). Is there anything to look out for considering it is a convertible? My brother has a lower end cover for his '69 Lotus, but that is a hard top, so no worries about wearing the cover off on the rag top.

What experience to you guys (and gals) have?

TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Are you storing the car in a garage or outside?

Before you ever put a cover on you need to make sure the car is completely clean, any dust or dirt trapped between the cover and the paint will cause scratches. If you are storing it in a garage, there is no reason to not put a cover on to keep the dust off. If you are storing it outside, I think a cover could cause more damage that it prevents.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #3

Garage
I should have mentioned, inside storage.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #4

If parked indoor, and covered, leave a window open and you'll be fine. Do not buy those thick triple layers 'whatever' covers, those are for military tanks and can damage a sport car pretty damn quick.

Buy something ultra light (single layer) which naturally breath, dry instantly and does not trap humidity