986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Electric Boxster sooner than later. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/68011-electric-boxster-sooner-than-later.html)

BIGJake111 07-31-2017 06:27 PM

Electric Boxster sooner than later.

Is Porsche Planning An Electric Boxster? - The Drive

As a boxster owner and in a position of leadership with my schools formula team I found this article very interesting.

Looks like an E boxster may be right around the corner. Maybe even out sooner than an electric 911 or mission E.

Honestly, I'd take one. Don't know why no one has done such so far. Stylish open top packaging with an electric drive train and good handling. I'd prefer this to the 4 turbo as long as it is in supplement to a 986 or some other flat 6 car in my garage.

(Also damn is Stuttgart hard to place anywhere near in any SAE comp. I was in charge of our business presentation and was very pleased to beat a few German teams and in the top 25% over all. Still a solid 20 points behind Stuttgarts perfect score though)

rexcramer 07-31-2017 06:49 PM

Great article and program. It seems only logical that there would be and E version of most everything at some point. Wasn't it England and another country suggesting no gas/diesel vehicles after 2030 just this week?

I don't know about the rest of the world but, the US electrical grid will not like everybody plugging their cars in during the day. Brownouts a possibility. The local utility is already asking us to 'give the appliances the day off' and 'keep your stat above 78'.

Someone in another thread eluded to the lack of battery materials also. Who knows where we are going.

FoxRvrBox 08-02-2017 09:00 AM

When I was shopping for my current Boxster about 4 years ago there was a dealer in the Chicago area with a speed yellow 986 converted to electric. I avoided it. The infrastructure for all electric in a country the size of the USA would be challenging to say the least.
My son likes to say his diesel pickup produces less pollution over its lifetime than an electric car ...
taking into account lithium mining, lack of battery recycling, etc.

Dr. Acula 08-02-2017 11:58 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, we are standing at the cusp of a rather dramatic change in the automotive world. A couple years ago I would have sneered at the idea of electric cars edging out ICE cars, but it now appears to be a matter of WHEN rather than IF.

I love the burble of a V8 and the howl of a flat 6, and I always will. But I'm also excited for the new things to come. We're going to see and experience great things with cars that we never imagined. There will, of course, be bumps in the road and growing pains with the infrastructure. But there will also be a logarithmic slope of advancing technology, particularly with battery tech. Rest assured there will still be Porsche cars that know how to bring thrills and driving excitement , even if the car sounds different. This isn't the end. It is simply an evolution.

Let us be grateful that we were able to experience the heyday of the internal combustion engine as well as the birth of the EV revolution. It will be fun watching it unfold.

(I don't share the same optimism for autonomous cars, but maybe give me 5 years and ask again.)