Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
Boxster 2001

Boxster amber headlight modification

Hi
I was looking through ebay at headlight units with an eye on changing the amber indicator style units for the smoked indicator lens type. I cam across an advert for a guy who would take your existing amber units and modify them to smoked finish, the price for the conversion was £200. Intrigued as to how this was done I sent him some questions about the process, being a little concerned as to what he would do to my lights. His response was a little vague but it sounds like he sands the amber off the lens and buffs the plastic back to a polished finish. I was wondering if anybody had tried this and if so what was their experience.
Thanks
Paul

pachinnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinnery View Post
Hi
I was looking through ebay at headlight units with an eye on changing the amber indicator style units for the smoked indicator lens type. I cam across an advert for a guy who would take your existing amber units and modify them to smoked finish, the price for the conversion was £200. Intrigued as to how this was done I sent him some questions about the process, being a little concerned as to what he would do to my lights. His response was a little vague but it sounds like he sands the amber off the lens and buffs the plastic back to a polished finish. I was wondering if anybody had tried this and if so what was their experience.
Thanks
Paul
Particlewave put a thread on how to do it.
Our amber headlights CAN be de-ambered

I copied the idea and did may sets but no longer have the time. the chap in Manchester pumped me how to do and started doing them himself. What goes around comes around! Its not hard to do but time consuming, buy a damaged light to practice on, that's what I did. I sand them so not to get a step on the lens. Started with 60 and went 1500 grit. Frightening at first as 60 is like a brick but gets through the amber careful with the heat i lubricated with WD40. once the amber has gone I went with 120 180 240 400 600 800 1200 1500 then compound and polish
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
Boxster 2001

Thanks

Hi Mavis.d, thanks for the link. I will have a go at mine when I have some time, the link has given me some good ideas how to get started.
Regards
Paul

pachinnery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amber , headlight