986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The second times the charm (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/67796-second-times-charm.html)

JBauer 07-16-2017 04:13 PM

The second times the charm

Decided to empty my oil canister again this afternoon. Last time it had no effect on the dash gauge 😐
I guess it just needed a little more removed.

Cool 😎

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1500250351.jpg

JBauer 07-17-2017 05:40 AM

Ugh

Checked it this morning and it shows overfilled again. I let it sit for about about 4 hrs after starting it for a second yo refill the canister. I guess I must be getting closer 😐

rick3000 07-17-2017 07:04 AM

A few questions:
-How much oil did you add when you changed the oil?
-How much was drained when you removed the filter?
-Are you getting a white puff of smoke on startup?
-Have you driven the car since the oil change, not just idling?

When you removed the oil filter, that should have drained about a quart, and one bar on the digital gauge is roughly one cup (8 oz). Driving the car after an oil change will also affect the oil level as the oil circulates through the engine. A white puff of smoke will indicate if an overfill is actually affecting the AOS.

http://986forum.com/forums/139488-post3.html

jrgill 07-17-2017 08:48 AM

I have to jump in on this because when I first read the information presented here, I looked at the dash gauge when turning the key and found my level was over the full mark. So I ran the car until it was warm, removed the filter canister and dumped out the contents. There wasn't even close to a quart in the cartridge...maybe 1/4 of a quart at the very most. I then started it, drove it about 5 miles and let it set for over 24 hours. Checked it again, later the next day and same reading. Over filled. Went through the same process of warming up, removing the filter cartridge cover, dumping out the 1/4 quart volume and let it set another 24 hours. Got in the next day, turned the key and the level read two bars below full (or three steps below where it was originally). I drove it that way for over a week, and that level remained constant the entire period. So I thought, let me add just an 1/8 of a quart (if that, it was really just a splash of oil at best) and see where that brings me. Guess what? The gauge states overfilled again. Does this indicate a measurement calibration issue with the unit? I normally wouldn't give this much thought as I'm one who normally just reads the dipstick and goes with that volume reading. But for some reason I have difficulty reading the dipstick level marker as the oil is normally very clear.

Joe

Gilles 07-17-2017 11:03 AM

If I remember correctly it was BYprodriver that mentioned that to have an accurate reading, you should let the engine idle for several seconds before turning the engine off to allow the auxiliary oil pumps on the heads to return the the engine sump..

I am not sure how accurate is his statement but it made sense to me, and now every time while waiting to turn the engine off somehow reminds me of BYprodriver.. :p

PS: I like to see the reading of the oil level on the dash every time before I turn the engine on, then switch to the TPMS screen

JayG 07-17-2017 12:09 PM

The factory says to check the oil hot after turning off the engine for a few minutes

JBauer 07-17-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 544295)
A few questions:
-How much oil did you add when you changed the oil? I didn't change it the dealer I bought it from did. Only put 400 miles since March.
-How much was drained when you removed the filter? A full canister each time.
-Are you getting a white puff of smoke on startup? Nope
-Have you driven the car since the oil change, not just idling? Yes 400 miles

When you removed the oil filter, that should have drained about a quart, and one bar on the digital gauge is roughly one cup (8 oz). Driving the car after an oil change will also affect the oil level as the oil circulates through the engine. A white puff of smoke will indicate if an overfill is actually affecting the AOS.

http://986forum.com/forums/139488-post3.html

See answers above ��
I let it sit until it was not too hot, probably 5 hours. Pulled canister, started it just to fill canister. Checked the dash level it was perfect. Sat overnight all bars lit.

JBauer 07-17-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 544313)
The factory says to check the oil hot after turning off the engine for a few minutes

When ever I try to check it when its hot like that the count down timer says something like 55min 20seconds. So I wait about and hour and it will countdown normal, like 12 seconds.

JBauer 09-05-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 544329)
See answers above ��
I let it sit until it was not too hot, probably 5 hours. Pulled canister, started it just to fill canister. Checked the dash level it was perfect. Sat overnight all bars lit.

It's been about a month since I emptied my oil canister twice to try to get the oil level on the dash to not read over full. Have drivin it probably a 100 mikes since still read all car lit. Did it once more today to see if one more time would do the trick. Let it sit for awhile, turn the key and get this 🙄🔫 http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1504636688.jpg

My gauge must be screwed up. Not leaking. 😐

paulofto 09-05-2017 01:17 PM

That level looks A OK to me. Check the physical dipstick now and see where it reads. It should be somewhere just below the 'full' notch.

Porsche9 09-05-2017 01:32 PM

Looks good to me! If you are trying to get it to the top line with the arrow every time all the time you can drive yourself nuts.

These gauges are pretty well known for being inaccurate. Both my Boxster and Carrera will fluctuate one or two bars. I understand that it can be difficult to see the oil on a dipstick but it's really the best way to measure the amount of oil in the engine. If you have a hard time seeing it use a white paper towel to put the dip onto see the oil level.

JBauer 09-05-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 549088)
That level looks A OK to me. Check the physical dipstick now and see where it reads. It should be somewhere just below the 'full' notch.

I just meant that its weird to see it drop 4 bars after emptying 1 filter canister of oil. I'm gonna let it settle for awhile and then check it both ways.

Thanks

thstone 09-05-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 549089)
These gauges are pretty well known for being inaccurate.

^^^^ Yes, yes, and yes. ^^^^

The fuel gauge is even worse. :o