Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #1

Poll: Do you store your car in the winter?

I'm having boxster withdrawls since I have only driven my car only once since the middle of December. I just can't bring myself to drive it over all the sand/grit and salt/slush on the roads this winter. It's only 5mo old and I put 5k on it this past fall so I'm still in the babying/pamper ing stage of my ownership. I just want the thing to look just as good as it does now 10-20yrs down the road. So, this brings me to my poll question, do you drive your car often during the winter or do you store it and wait it out until Spring. Mention where you live as well if possible.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:52 AM   #2

Hi Adam,
I live in Alexandria VA. I have a 2000 Boxster and have 26 k miles on it. THe first year I owned the car I did drive it through the winter. But since I leave it in the garage pretty much from first snowfall until close to March before I ever drive it again. Currently I havent driven my car since October 2, 2003. That is the day my car was put in the shop for what I expected to be the better part of the winter and have been performing modification work. My car is coming out of the shop in about 2 weeks from now. Once my car is finished at the shop I will drive it home, weather providing, and put it back in the garage for probably another month until the weather is better and the salt and sand has had a chance to rinse away.
Oh and FYI I have been going through withdrawals from my 986 half of the winter.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:34 AM   #3

Adam,

I'm in Columbia, MD and the winter has been harsh lately. I've got a 2000 Boxster with 31k on it that I bought in November of this past year. My car is in the garage and I sneak a drive every once in a while when the temperature gets warmer than 50 degrees You're not alone my friend. I've been dying to get behind the wheel to push the pedal a little, but with all the salt and sand on the road, I don't dare.

JBG
Old 02-03-2004, 08:56 AM   #4

Talking Drive to stay alive!

Never have stored any of my Porsches and never will. The 993, C4S and both Boxsters have been year round here in the great People's Republic of Massachusetts. I mount the hardtop, put on the snows and away we go. I run through a car wash once a week and keep a good coat of wax on the car. No ill effects observed after 4 years with my current Boxster - 99 with 57,000 miles and drove into and back from Boston today. Get some!
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
b0xt0La

I have 4 blizzaks mounted on the stock 17" rims and I'm rolling baby. Everybody thinks I'm crazy driving it in the snow hehe.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #6

I drive it every day. Southern California. But, even if I lived in snow, I'd be driving it. I am not into all this pampering garage queen BS. It's a car meant to be driven. Just think of all the fun I am having when I put 20K a year on it compared to someone who pampers it and keeps it home in the garage that only puts a few thousand miles on it. Hell, you could die tomorrow. Get out there and use the car, rain, shine....whatever. Well, that's how I feel about it. Your opinion may differ naturally.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:32 AM   #7

I drive it every day in New York City. I park it in my garage everynight in Long Island. What's the point of buying this car if its not used. I got the car in December and I have been drinving every day to go to work in the Bronx or to Brooklyn. I have no fear of the car performance in snow what I am afraid is of the newly minted yahoos driving their massive SUV's at in the highway with inclement weather at five feet from your rear bumper. What I dread is the black ice and there is nothing that is going to stop the car there. In short enjoy the car its meant to be used and not pampered. As mjbliemel live is too short so don;t deprive yourself of lifes pleasures.