986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Worth the gamble? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/67120-worth-gamble.html)

bmsamson 06-15-2017 01:48 PM

Worth the gamble?

Looking at a 2-owner base 986 with 130k miles. The good - IMSB upgrade when the clutch was replaced, consistent service, tires and brakes are ok, even a relatively new window in the top. The questionable, a love tap in the rear led to a bumper replacement but also somehow the rear spoiler sticking (down) that the PO didn't address beyond deactivating it. (says insurance would have called the car totaled given the cost to repair). No subsequent issues with frame/alignment, I'm told.

I'm very tempted given the price and history, but what might I be failing to consider here? Should I go for it or walk away?

JayG 06-15-2017 01:57 PM

Most likely Run away
depends a little on asking price and a PPI should be done

an inoperative spoiler that is locked in the down position could cause some unwanted handling at speeds above 75. It would be better if it was up all the time than down

JBauer 06-15-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmsamson (Post 540851)
Looking at a 2-owner base 986 with 130k miles. The good - IMSB upgrade when the clutch was replaced, consistent service, tires and brakes are ok, even a relatively new window in the top. The questionable, a love tap in the rear led to a bumper replacement but also somehow the rear spoiler sticking (down) that the PO didn't address beyond deactivating it. (says insurance would have called the car totaled given the cost to repair). No subsequent issues with frame/alignment, I'm told.

I'm very tempted given the price and history, but what might I be failing to consider here? Should I go for it or walk away?

How much? What year?

rexcramer 06-15-2017 03:55 PM

I had a "love tap" in March and it was $4,200 to put it back together correctly.

bmsamson 06-15-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 540867)
I had a "love tap" in March and it was $4,200 to put it back together correctly.

That they did, and probably why they didn't do the spoiler. The question is, now that that's done, and the other factors, Is it worth buying?

mikefocke 06-15-2017 05:15 PM

If that is the only problem and the price is right, then worth a PPI.

But why is the spoiler stuck? I was hit in the rear and it was more than the bumper cover but no structure or sheet metal damage. But once they got the cover off there are shock absorbers and a crossbar that must be considered and the frame alignment. Even the straightness of the muffler pipes. Was all that done? And any deformation in the rear tub (which might account for the spoiler being stuck). Is there a very experienced with Boxsters body shop anywhere around that could give it a quick look?

NewArt 06-15-2017 05:21 PM

Imsb, clutch and all make the car worth considering. All comes down to the price and the results of a ppi. Factor in the spoiler repair.

rexcramer 06-15-2017 06:40 PM

My spoiler would go up, but got stuck going down. The structure that the nitrogen shocks mount to was slightly pushed in. They put it on a frame rack and pulled everything back into spec. All new bits replaced and it works perfect now. The main horizontal beam (bumper) was slightly bent, which pushed everything forward.

bmsamson 06-16-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 540874)
Is there a very experienced with Boxsters body shop anywhere around that could give it a quick look?

Thanks Mike. Anyone in LA have a referral?

rexcramer 06-16-2017 03:33 PM

How about LA adjacent? I used 911 Design in Montclair, California. Home Page 911 Design - 911 Design Allan is the head of their body shop. He patiently put up with all of my questions. Full race prep to putting my 97 back together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmsamson (Post 540939)

ExplorerLyon 06-16-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmsamson (Post 540939)

I had my PPI done at Euro Spec Nice guys. Home - EuroSpec Motoring

bmsamson 06-16-2017 09:49 PM

moving on

Drove that car tonite, not even worth the PPI. Many things not as described, so its a clear pass for me. Thanks all for the feedback, back on the hunt for me.

itsnotanova 06-17-2017 05:28 AM

Porsches grow on trees out there in California. There'll be others.

ExplorerLyon 06-17-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmsamson (Post 541002)
Drove that car tonite, not even worth the PPI. Many things not as described, so its a clear pass for me. Thanks all for the feedback, back on the hunt for me.

I looked at a lot before buying mine. So many looked great on paper, different story up close.