Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #1

Pics of my C4 Sport Design 11.5" wheels on Boxster!

Did the math and mounted these wheels. I really like them! The car looks mean and the ride is improved much my surprise. This was originally meant as an experiment to see if I could, but now I may just keep these on the car.

Attached Images

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 06-09-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Supra-P!G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Those are some wide wheels/tires! Looks good. If you want an extra source for fitment for now or the future (or if anyone else is curious) we have a pretty extensive tech article on wheel fitment. Glad this ended up working out for you! Thanks for sharing.

Wheel Fitment and Spacing Guide - Pelican Parts
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

Can you resize your pics? I'd love to see this... all I see is a long scroll bar at the bottom of my phone man with pics disappearing. Try to stay within 800(width) or 1024 max, makes the forum more enjoyable also

Thanks for sharing those, can't wait to see
Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Can you resize your pics? I'd love to see this... all I see is a long scroll bar at the bottom of my phone man with pics disappearing. Try to stay within 800(width) or 1024 max, makes the forum more enjoyable also

Thanks for sharing those, can't wait to see
Fixed them.
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #5

Now I know who to look for when these awfully large JPG gets uploaded. Cuts all the fun.

You are a star Luccia, thanks.

And yep, those are super wheels. Cool to see. thanks for sharing
Old 06-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Wow, are those wide. You may need mud flaps on the back now.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Wow, are those wide. You may need mud flaps on the back now.
Yes, they are super wide. I used 38 mm spacers on the rears. No issues with rubbing inside, only issue seems to be top of fender on extremely big dips. Will need to install spring stabilizers, or stiffer springs to eliminate that, but it's not bad.

I did read somewhere that the e-brake cables should be zip tied out of the way. The e-brake line seems to be strait and very close the inside wheel, but no touching. How is the line zip tied?

I've put on about 600 miles with these tires/wheels so far.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

cool - 38 mm spacers - what is the original offset of the wheel?

perhaps a mild roll of the fenders will help w the outside rubbing.

i like that you were able to fit them without having to go to narrow rubber.

what is your rear camber and ride height?

for parking brake cables, there is an oem clip for that purpose, sold for the * i think * 996 turbo, but damned if i can find the part # right now.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Rear end looks really tall.

Good way to show off the Invo's though. lol
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Way too wide IMO. But it's your car...

The overall diameter looks much larger in the rear too? Kinda looks lifted in the back.

38mm spacers are going to put a ton of extra stress on your wheel bearings as well. The only way I see this working is if you lower the car and add a lot of negative camber in the rear. I'd personally look for that same wheel in a different fitment. Here are the same wheels but with 8.5" fronts and 10" rears:

See how much better that fits?
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
That's opinion, really.
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Way too wide IMO. But it's your car...

The overall diameter looks much larger in the rear too? Kinda looks lifted in the back.

38mm spacers are going to put a ton of extra stress on your wheel bearings as well. The only way I see this working is if you lower the car and add a lot of negative camber in the rear. I'd personally look for that same wheel in a different fitment. Here are the same wheels but with 8.5" fronts and 10" rears:

Those are perfect. It is a preference thing - I like the rubber just falling in line with the edge of the fender. That's a really nice aero kit too.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
That's opinion, really.
I never said anything about aesthetics, I was merely suggesting something that physically fits better and requires no modification while providing more or less the same look.

You're of the opinion that wheels that contact the fender over bumps and require 38mm spacers are a better fit than ones that don't?
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #14

I would also question its legality in some states. Police love stuff like this, gives them a reason to pull you over for the tires sticking out past the body without mud flaps to keep them from throwing up debris into the vehicles behind them. And that thing would look just lovely with big old mud flaps on it............
Old 06-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
cool - 38 mm spacers - what is the original offset of the wheel?

perhaps a mild roll of the fenders will help w the outside rubbing.

i like that you were able to fit them without having to go to narrow rubber.

what is your rear camber and ride height?

for parking brake cables, there is an oem clip for that purpose, sold for the * i think * 996 turbo, but damned if i can find the part # right now.
My original calculations (from another post):
Front 205/50/17 on a 7 inch wheel with 55 offset.

Rear 255/40/17 on an 8.5 inch wheel with 50 offset.

If want to install the 911 Sport Design wheels:

Front 235/35/19 on an 8.5 inch wheel with 55 offset = +19 mm inside, and +19 mm outside increase.

Rear 305/30/19 on an 11.5 inch wheel with 67 offset = +57 mm inside and +19 mm outside

I assume that front might be okay, but I should install at least a 7 or 10 mm spacer.

For the rear I need at least 1.5 inch spacer that will leave (38mm - 57mm) about 19 mm closer to the strut.

My question is, can I use the size spacers as I've selected, or do I need to go bigger?
"

These are 6 mm closer to the strut than original rear wheels.

They are supposed to be 1.2 inches taller, but they are actually only 1/2 inch taller. The car is barely any taller, and my speedo is still off in the other direction. So, 80 mph is 79 actual speed.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Those are perfect. It is a preference thing - I like the rubber just falling in line with the edge of the fender. That's a really nice aero kit too.
Yes, I'd rather have the 10 inch rears as in above photo, but I can't find them anywhere. I just need a set of rears. But, I actually am enjoying the way the car looks with those fat tires on the rear.

Last edited by Supra-P!G; 06-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #17

Its Bad Ass. You do realize you are the 1st in-the-world who've managed to fit them - SuperStar!

Thanks to Jeff's law enforcement advice, gave me a great idea for our upcoming DIY from CAD.prototyping. Me think some of you guys need a concealed "Electromagnetic Pulse Gun" inside those bumperettes

Free for you S/P!G
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
I am No. 1348

Garage
I love those wheels. Really "con-temporize" the look of the car.

I do love the Fattness in the rear end shot. Looks really cool.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra-P!G View Post
My original calculations (from another post):
Front 205/50/17 on a 7 inch wheel with 55 offset.

Rear 255/40/17 on an 8.5 inch wheel with 50 offset.

If want to install the 911 Sport Design wheels:

Front 235/35/19 on an 8.5 inch wheel with 55 offset = +19 mm inside, and +19 mm outside increase.

Rear 305/30/19 on an 11.5 inch wheel with 67 offset = +57 mm inside and +19 mm outside

I assume that front might be okay, but I should install at least a 7 or 10 mm spacer.

For the rear I need at least 1.5 inch spacer that will leave (38mm - 57mm) about 19 mm closer to the strut.

My question is, can I use the size spacers as I've selected, or do I need to go bigger?
"

These are 6 mm closer to the strut than original rear wheels.
ok, so on the rear you are at 67 - 38 = 29 offset w an 11.5" wheel. i am running a 40 offset w a 10" wheel. i got not much space between my wheel and my coilover, and not much space between my wheel and my fender lip (on a 275 wide tire).

difference in wheel width is 1.5" = .75" on each side = 19 mm wider on each side, but you are pushed out an additional 40-29 = 11 mm, which makes you 19 - 11 = 8 mm closer to the strut than me. i truly think i could not get 8 mm closer to my strut. my conclusion is that this is probably only possible with a 19" wheel which moves the inner lip 1/2" up and further away from the strut than an 18" wheel does.

on the outside, your wheel is 19 + 11 = 30 mm / 1.25" further out than me. i've got -2 camber on the back and couldn't fit an additional 1.25", so fitment would require more camber than i got (which appears to be the case in your photos) and prolly some rolling of the fenders (which appears to be the case in your situation).

good data points; thanks very much. 11" wheels are much easier to find, good to know how they can be made to fit.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #20

Garage
I've always liked those wheels but wondered about their functionality and effects on the suspension notwithstanding how awesome they look on the Boxster

Tags
11.5 , sport design , wheels