Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Foam Canon

Just did a search and only a couple of mentions popped up. Does anybody use a foam canon? Do you have a recommendation for a gun and or soap that you like? The thread I found mentioned the 'Chemical Guys'. Too many choices there and on YouTube.

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #2

Do you have a pressure washer or are you looking for a hose attachment?
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

The pressure washer I have has an alternative tip that, when used, draws the soap from a reservoir to create that foam cannon effect but it's not at high pressure.

There's also this one for a garden hose: https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Wash-Snow-Lance-Cannon/dp/B01MA4WQQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494784932&sr=8-2&keywords=Professional+Snow+Foam+Cannon+Adjustable+ Lance+Pressure+Washer+Jet+Wash+with+1%2F4%E2%80%9D +Quick+Connector
Old 05-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I do have a pressure washer. And I can draw soap up from secondary container. It doesn't produce foam like a canon does. I have seen a bunch for sale in a wide range of prices. I am hoping for recommendations for both guns and soap.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:11 AM   #5

Any quality auto soap will work. A foam cannon works best with a pressure washer. My foam cannon and auto shampoos are from Detailers Domain. You can use the foam cannon with your regular wash hose, but it won't produce the volume of foam, and aeration (cling & dwell).
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

Garage
I have one from Adam's. It works fine, I like the way the soap foams and sticks to my vehicles. Cannot compare it to any others - it is he only one I have ever used.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

By far the BEST solution if you have the space for a hose.
Check out AMMO NYC's YouTube channel. He details million dollar cars and drives a 964 I think.

The #1 cause for paint swirl is dragging dirt and sediments across a dry paint surface. The insane suds of a foam cannon will give you the most lubrication to clear off the surface.
There's a proper technique for shooting the foam in front of the mitt or sponge as you move left to right in the direction of the wind. So if your right handed you would hold the pistol grip in that hand and chase with the sponge/mitt with the left hand.
But first I would rinse the car down with low pressure to get the heavy gunk off, then cover the entire car in foam.

Follow up with the leaf blower to dry. Or spray the car down with a quick detail spray to dry the car with lubrication. And use a waffle weave pattern drying towel. Do not use cheap auto store towels in the paint, use "deep pile" towels like the Griots Garage green and blue towels that do not have a prickly side. If you are going to use prickly microfiber (overkill for a well maintained paint surface) don't use them more than once on tjw paint surface unless the paint is 100% white glove test clean.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-16-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thank-you everybody for your input. I have some homework to do.