Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

anyones speedo needle light stay on when the car is off?

Ive been meaning to post this question for years. Ever since I got my car Ive noticed that when I turn it off the needles on the tach, needles and other guages all stay lit up. I have a 2001 Boxster S and I havent seen this on any other car. Any ideas?

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

I've got a 2002 S...my gauges go completely dark. The only time the needles are illuminated is when the headlight switch is turned on. The interior lighting powers on and shuts down in stages on mine. When the door handle microswitch is activated, all interior lights and the dash LCD screens come on. The door and map lights fade out pretty quick if no other action is taken. The dash LCDs go dark after another few minutes. The tiny leds in the interior door handles, as well as the backlighting for the frunk and trunk buttons stay on for a long time. I've never "waited those out," but when parked overnight they will eventually go out. To my knowledge, mine is functioning exactly as it should. Everything eventually shuts down.

I'd say since the needles on my gauges only activate in any state with the headlight switch...you should start there if it's a problem you want fixed.
Akjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

My 99 does. It will go out when you lock the door. Not sure on the actual time it does stay on.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
They stay on for 5 minutes if you don't lock your car. Lock the car, and they turn off. Also, the ambient lighting in the car that subtly illuminates the interior door handles and backlights the frunk and trunk switches will stay lit for several hours unless you lock the car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote