986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Creaking noise from rear? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66517-creaking-noise-rear.html)

johnrhopkins 05-12-2017 04:23 PM

Creaking noise from rear?

Ok, first let me say that I've found several posts about similar issues. None really answered my question.

The noise I'm hearing is what I'd describe as a creaking noise from the rear. I only hear it when taking slow, relatively sharp turns like in a parking lot.

What I'm wondering is; What are the usual suspects? Is there a surefire way to narrow down the source of the issue?

rlbruce64 05-12-2017 04:33 PM

Usual suspect is the trailing arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anker 05-12-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlbruce64 (Post 537010)
Usual suspect is the trailing arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for creaking when turning. Sounds more like dry shock absorbers.

Try pushing down on the fenders and see if you can reproduce the noise. You may need a friend to get enough force.

SteelStroke 05-12-2017 08:03 PM

New Bilstein B6's will solve that issue :-P

johnrhopkins 05-12-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelStroke (Post 537033)
New Bilstein B6's will solve that issue :-P

I was looking at those as a possible solution.

johnrhopkins 07-14-2017 09:22 AM

I've been out of town a LOT lately. I finally got a chance to take it to my mechanic before I bought new shocks. He said with a great degree of certainty that the noise was coming from the ball joint on the passenger side. So, I've ordered a new set of lower control arms. I'll post back with the outcome after I get them installed.

johnrhopkins 07-26-2017 01:21 PM

The verdict is in. The issue was the ball joint in the rear passenger lower control arm. Once we got it out we found that it was completely seized. We went ahead and replaced both the rear LCAs and noted that the boot on the left side was torn... so, I'm glad we replaced both.

RandallNeighbour 07-26-2017 04:13 PM

BTW, folks, pushing down on the fenders can dent the fenders.

My solution is a lot more fun. I get the wife to stand in the frunk or trunk and jump up and down while I inspect by the side of the car. Even if I don't find the source of the squeak it was worth it.

johnrhopkins 07-26-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 545337)
Even if I don't find the source of the squeak it was worth it.

Haha! Yes, we did try that. It was entertaining, to say the least.

Neeno 09-06-2017 08:12 PM

Any updates about this? Did you replace the old shocks with Bilstein or have you found another issue?

johnrhopkins 09-07-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeno (Post 549204)
Any updates about this? Did you replace the old shocks with Bilstein or have you found another issue?

Dang, I thought I had posted the outcome here already. Sorry about that.

So, the culprit was the ball joint on the passenger side lower control arm. I replaced both LCAs and the noises are mostly gone. I'm just now starting to hear a similar but very faint sound. I'll be checking the other ball joints soon.