Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

ANother puddle....biggest one yet

Wife and I took the Boxster out to diner and a 10 mile drive afterwards ...perfect weather and evening. After parking the car I came back out to get something and noticed a large puddle by the back tire and running away from the car (driveway on a hill). I popped the rear trunk and noticed a lot of condensation where the water was escaping. I grabbed some bottled water and topped it off....would up taking 1/2 gal of distilled water with the engine running. It never ran hot. I know I need to replace the water pump....already have a new one along with a lower temp thermostat.....but I am doing this as a preemptive maintenance measure since my car is at 80K miles. Could this be as simple as a bad expansion tank cap ??

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
I'd look at the tank or cap if there is water in the trunk. I'd go for the cap first as it's easiest.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #3

Garage
What you are seeing is exactly what a bad cap does. Also if the cap is not screwed on correctly it will do this. Best technique is to turn cap to left (CCW) until you feel the threads drop into position then tighten. These caps are easy to cross. I know I did once when I first bought mine, it puked and I s---! fortunately it was in front of my house Also so you have the latest cap ending .04? There is also a very good trouble shooting technique that someone posted where the put baggies over the cap, and relief valve to confirm which one leaked. The cap is cheap and I'd replace it since the threads could be damaged.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

One on the way

Pelican had the best deal....thanks guys

Dwight

Next weekend I am signing up for a GT3 ride at Uberfest here in Florence AL

I'm sure my little Boxster will seem like a Toy after that ride
Old 04-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Small update

Had to move the Boxster today out of the shop, I am helping my grandson do a transmission fluid and filter change on his E46 (What a messy job). I had tried the thing about unscrewing the lid and turning it anti clockwise until I felt the thread engauge and I think it seated better...got the car up to temp and parked and it never leaked fluid.I still have a new one on the way and will change it out but this may have been the culprit....thanks

Dwight