Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #1

Water spots on black paint

washed my car yesterday and fot the first time water spots appeared. I don't know if it's because it was HOT or what and I use filtered water to rinse the car just so water spots won't happen. Anyway, what is the best way to remove water spots on black paint? I tried a quick detailer, but no luck. If I rewash the car will they go away?

Thanks

smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #2

I've a black Boxster as well, and when this happened to me I quickly took out my trusty Porter Cable random orbital polisher and some Menzerna intensive polish and it came right out.

Keeping a fresh coat of carnauba wax on top of whatever sealant you are using will also help water spots from sticking to your paint.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #3

I really didn't want to have to buff the car.

I heard that a 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar will do it, but will this hurt the finish?
smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #4

I'm betting the vinegar will strip your finish of all wax and sealants, but I have no personal experience with this. Hopefully, one of the highly knowledgeable forum members can chime in and help you with a non-buffing remedy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #5

smith... i had a similar experience not too long ago...(search under "water spots"), ...and had the same solution offerred up from a well-known local detailer....vingear/water-- i didn't have the nerve to use it cuz the culprits that "spotted" my car...paid to have it detailed.

If you do use the vinegar--- make sure you post you your experience with it.

It sure seems that out here in So. Cal. a black car get "dusty" 15 minutes after your done cleaning.....sure makes me envy that Arctic Silver!!!

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote