Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 AM   #1

Garage
PPI Performed - Sway bar bushing?

Over the weekend I had a PPI performed on a 2002 986. The mechanic provided a thorough report with pictures and noted some areas that would need repair. One of those repairs defined a cracked boot or seal at the sway bar. I'm unsure of the description and the picture associated and would like some assistance in verifying the the repair. I'm thinking that the description and picture provided may have been incorrectly recorded. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

jrgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #2

That picture is the boot on the end of the sway bar drop link, which is this part:

Sway Bar Drop Link 99634306904 - Delphi - Porsche - 996-343-069-04 | Pelican Parts

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #3

That's a real easy fix. Probably the 1st I did on mine. Pop out, pop in. Easily accessible with wheel off. I think I paid 80 for the pair.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #4

Joe,
This is a trivial issue for the big decision you have to make(made?). Suggest you share the remainder of the PPI to-do list for others to help you with.There are some potentially very expensive issues.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

Garage
Gelbster - the PPI list of items non-conforming is very short and most are simple fixes. Here's the listing:

HVAC Control head malfunction: no display, yet controls operate the system
Right outer tie rod boot ripped, no play.
Right lower sway bar boot ripped, no play.
Drivers side cup holder non-functional
Non-matching tires front to back (sumitomo in front, Continentals in rear - 30% wear on all)
Front and rear pad thickness 60%, rotors - no sign of wear or lip
Diagnostic results - No faults present
Interior - paint worn in several points on center console and door card armrests (Sport design pkg - gray paint wearing at contact points).
Front left wheel arch appears damaged in pictures provided and may need to be replaced (wheel well plastic covering).

That's all, out of an extensive (approx. 150 point) inspection, diagnostic, and road test. From what this info provides, it's all things I can repair or replace with little difficulty. I know that there are things that can still go wrong or unseen, but it does provide a good sense of purchasing a solid vehicle that can be driven right away.

I'd appreciate any feedback provided prior to finalizing my decision.

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgill View Post
I'd appreciate any feedback provided prior to finalizing my decision.
Thanks
Joe
Hello Joe,

Did the person that performed the PPI mentioned about the condition of the rubber bushings of the lower control arms (coffin arms)..?

The reason I am asking is because the rubber on the link seems to be very dry, usually the other rubber components are in a similar condition, you may want to ask him because replacing all of them could get kind of pricey..

PS: How many miles does this car have?
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Garage
Hi Gilles,

Good question. The PPI tech said they showed some signs of wear but that there were no tears. Something I'd have to consider with costs to repair. The car has less than 50,000 miles.

Joe