986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Finally made it to an Autocross (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66091-finally-made-autocross.html)

78F350 04-09-2017 04:35 PM

Finally made it to an Autocross

I went to the local PCA Autocross today - Cimarron PCA in Tulsa. The first 'counting' one of the season. Lot of fun and cool cars. I had tried to get to one all last year, but just couldn't fit it into my schedule. I had six runs and improved every time except for the one where I bumped my windshield wiper stalk and killed a few cones while I tried to shut it back off. *Need to pull that fuse next time. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rff60DWG9xY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Porsche9 04-09-2017 05:08 PM

Nice video! Are going to do some more? Anyone hit the curb? I've been to a number of AXs and the parking lots/tracks have always been curb free. The one thing that kills me about AX is the waiting to track time ratio.

steved0x 04-09-2017 05:53 PM

Yikes, those curbs! I bet everyone was nice and tidy through there. Cool music and video, looked like fun!

78F350 04-09-2017 05:58 PM

Yes, I'm going to do more. Here they are scheduled every other weekend into October and I plan to make most of them now. There are normally about 25-30 drivers and they broke it up into 2 run groups for a ~1 minute course. It actually flowed pretty quickly with each car starting when the previous one was about 2/3 done with the course. Nobody hit a curb, but the possibility is real. I wish we had an airport, or track available in the area. There was no room to really open it up. I never got past second gear. The whole course was pretty much entry and exit of the corners and that's what I want to develop.

thstone 04-09-2017 06:18 PM

Cool! Looks like great fun and I really enjoyed the video.

JayG 04-09-2017 08:15 PM

With the San Diego PCA, we do 10 AX a year.
Typically we have 80-110 cars. At minimum you get 2 practice sessions with 5 runs each and a final timed session with 4 laps. When we have 70-80 cars, we often get in 6 laps in each practice session'

Our courses are great, different each time and they include things like slalom, increasing and decreasing radius corners both on and off camber, sweepers, hairpin, and more. Most courses are over 1 mile with top time around 1:15-1:20.

petropolis 04-10-2017 07:40 AM

I would never run there. There is supposed to be 30 feet from all curbs and walls and such so you don't destroy your car. I'd look around for a different autocross course.

PaulE 04-10-2017 09:26 AM

Cool, how do they keep track of each car without numbers?

JayG 04-10-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petropolis (Post 533319)
I would never run there. There is supposed to be 30 feet from all curbs and walls and such so you don't destroy your car. I'd look around for a different autocross course.

And the corner workers don't have safety vests nor any flags

Safety is top priority!

78F350 04-10-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

With the San Diego PCA, we do 10 AX a year...
I get to San Diego about once a year to see friends and family. So far, I've not had a Boxster there, but if I do I'll be sure to check the calendar for an event.

Quote:

... I'd look around for a different autocross course.
I have. Within about a 2 hour drive, that's pretty much what is available. The SCCA has a different, but similar parking lot in Tulsa.

Quote:

Cool, how do they keep track of each car without numbers?
They have used numbers in the past, but with the size of the group, they quickly know everyone's names and car. Friendly, welcoming people.

I have a DE planned for most months from now through October, so I can get my fix of high speed. The AX is my chance to really get to know the dynamics of the car without being a fool on the roads, or the local grocery store parking lot. :D

RedTele58 04-10-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petropolis (Post 533319)

They had a really nice course until about a year ago when it was yanked out from under them. IIRC, they lost most of the season after that and are looking for someplace new. This is it for now. Sometimes you have to take what you can get, or stay home all weekend and mow the lawn and help your wife in the yard. :barf: