986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ppi in houston (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/6609-ppi-houston.html)

playboy 06-28-2006 01:47 PM

ppi in houston

Hi, does anyone know a good place for a ppi in houston for a 00 boxster?

would SGS(ebay recommends) or carfax be ok? I've emailed the dealers and they only do them on the cars they sell.

Im not in the area of the car and are going to be buying it over ebay.

RandallNeighbour 06-28-2006 05:35 PM

My mechanic would do it for you if the car could be brought to him. I have some time and could help you with this if you are certain you are going to buy the car if it checks out... I'd hate to waste my time!

You'd also have to figure out how to pay my mechanic... he don't take the credit cards you know.

PM me if you are interested.

At the very least I could drive over to wherever the car is located and look it over for you with my keen, Boxster owner eyes... no guarantees though.

playboy 06-28-2006 06:58 PM

i didnt get approved for as much as i had hoped. Now im looking at 97-98s regretfully. My price range is only like 15-16k now :(

Would you think a 97 with 92miles on it for around 14.5-15 would be a good price. Is it even worth buying? or should i wait a year or so?

RandallNeighbour 06-28-2006 07:05 PM

Wait. Save. Buy newer. Buy an S.

This is from a high mileage 97 owner who bought at $15k and has spent 6k or more in repairs, plus 4k in mods to make it look and feel newer.

Nuf' said.

playboy 06-28-2006 07:49 PM

i actually think im going to buy one and then sell it right away where i live (Canada). The price difference is alot. I just want something that is appealing to other people and will hold up for a 1200 mile drive. Then i save up for a S for myself.

If the 97-99 make it past the 20-30 miles and there is no sign of an oil leak, are the engines reliable? Will they last a while. That is my worst fear, buy one and have to put a new engine in. I dont have problems with replacing the ignition switch, O2 sensors or mass air fuel sensors or any suspension/brake component myself.

RandallNeighbour 06-29-2006 05:12 AM

This is a gamble. I've made a 1200 mile journey in my 97 boxster the day I bought it (Miami to Houston).

If something sizeable goes wrong on the road, heck, if something small goes wrong on the road you will be at the mercy of whatever dealer or repair shop you pull into, or more accurately, are towed into.

Not a smart move, and not a good way to make money on a car.... now buying and selling used cars for more than you paid is a good way to make money, don't get me wrong. But buying a very high mileage 97 boxster in Houston and driving it to Vancouver to sell for more than you paid is very risky indeed.