Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Adding a garage door opener?

I've searched the forums with mixed results. So here's the question:

Suncoast sells a 986 dash button switch with a garage door opener icon. This implies to me that it should connect to a garage door opener circuit behind the dash. How do I do that? The threads I'm seeing here talk about aftermarket mods using used garage door modules taken from other vehicles and so forth. Is there a best practice method to add a built-in garage door opener to my S using that Suncoast switch? I don't want a half-baked mod, or one I'll need to cut up my car to install. Any ideas?

Dave

DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I put mine in the center console. I wired the button to my hand clicker. Then I stored the clicker under the console. Works great.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

I completed this mod at the end of 2012. It worked out great;

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41871-just-finished-doing-garage-door-gate-remote-mod.html

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I put mine in the center console. I wired the button to my hand clicker. Then I stored the clicker under the console. Works great.
What will you do when the battery on the hand clicker dies? Is it easy to get to?

I'm currently storing my handheld garage remote in the ash tray. It fits there and the lid closes fine. It's an extra remote, (one of two I have available), as my other cars all have integrated garage door openers built in. So I can sacrifice this remote if needed. I'd rather use a push button on the dash, if I can. Trying to decide the best option to go.

Thanks, Chuck. Good info on that thread.

Dave

Last edited by DaveNW; 04-01-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

My remote is clipped to the book holder under the steering wheel. Access to all three buttons on the remote.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Pulling the ashtray delete is quick and easy to change the battery. I think it might take 10 minutes tops. Although that battery lasts for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
What will you do when the battery on the hand clicker dies? Is it easy to get to?

I'm currently storing my handheld garage remote in the ash tray. It fits there and the lid closes fine. It's an extra remote, (one of two I have available), as my other cars all have integrated garage door openers built in. So I can sacrifice this remote if needed. I'd rather use a push button on the dash, if I can. Trying to decide the best option to go.

Thanks, Chuck. Good info on that thread.

Dave
Old 04-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Current drain and regulators

I used a regular garage (Genie) door opener that I picked up that looks beaten badly for a few bucks, I did the smart connect and found it to be working perfectly. I used a 12V regulator and tied to a "always hot" wire in the harness behind the climate control that was originally used for the cell option. I disassembled the opener and used a defrost switch off fleabay and wired it directly....just wrapped the opener in plastic and stuffed it all behind the tray radio area (lots of room there) and it has always worked.....I never worry about the battery going dead. If memory serves me correctly I measured the current drain and found it to be in single digit milliamps.....the switched may not be marked correctly but I know what it is.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Pulling the ashtray delete is quick and easy to change the battery. I think it might take 10 minutes tops. Although that battery lasts for years.

That's a clever place to put it. I just replaced the battery in the controller I'm using, so I should be good for a bit. Just need to find a good location to place the controller. I've ordered the dash switch, and will try and follow the threads I've seen about this. I should be able to do this. Cross your fingers.

Dave
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I believe I covered it in some bubble wrap with a couple of zip-ties and just slide it in there. It has been in +/- 18 months and I haven't touched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
That's a clever place to put it. I just replaced the battery in the controller I'm using, so I should be good for a bit. Just need to find a good location to place the controller. I've ordered the dash switch, and will try and follow the threads I've seen about this. I should be able to do this. Cross your fingers.

Dave
Old 04-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #10

Garage
I store mine in the center console and ran a momentary switch to the ash tray. I still need to paint up the washer, but it works for now. Switch was about $5 from Lowes.

Hirsch990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #11

I store mine on the visor using a clip. The other buttons, I save for the flame thrower, oil drop and water cannon features.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
I store mine on the visor using a clip. The other buttons, I save for the flame thrower, oil drop and water cannon features.

What, no ejector seat button?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote