Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2023, 05:43 AM   #1

04 top on a 97. HELP!

Randall Neighbour here. I had to set up a new profile for some reason, but I'm an old timer here and have thousands of posts. I'm back because I have a challenge and I haven't found anything helpful with a thread search.

I have replaced my factory 1997 top with one from a 2004 boxster. Nice big factory glass window! Problem is that it's not operating right.

I need some advice from someone who has made this swap successfully. If you have taken an 03-04 top and made it work on a 97-99 MY 986, please let me know what you modified to make it work. The bolts and fit are identical... it's just the microswitches and transmissions that are not the same and it's causing operational problems.

[BTW, I found a page on Mike Focke's web site explaining it can be done, and I have emailed him asking for Maurice's three PDF files, but I have no idea how responsive he will be after all these years]

Any advice from someone who has done this upgrade would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Rneighbour; 02-08-2023 at 05:54 AM.
Rneighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #2

Hello Randall, sorry no convertible top experience here, but regarding your old identity have you ask one of the moderators for help?

It would be sad to loose all those old mails and postings from you, so much time invested on them

Seriously, hopefully you can get your old name (user) again! Good luck
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #3

Garage
Hi Randall -

I have the first two parts, not sure why I don't have the third. I hope that this is helpful!

Randall -

The file size is too big to be uploaded to this service it appears. Suggest you send me a message & provide your email privately if you are interested in getting parts 1&2.....

Last edited by barkinfool; 02-08-2023 at 04:10 PM.
barkinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I just checked through my .PDF Library and it looks like I have part III. It discusses electrical connections for the relay and final adjustment of the transmissions. Reply or PM if you need it.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #5

AFAIK they changed the convertible top ecu M439 from 99 to 00. Also different part numbers. Did you take that into consideration?
Old 02-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #6

He has all three parts. Anyone who wants their missing parts, tell me which one you are missing via my well known email.

The more people have them...when I am not around they will survive. Must have sent them a half dozen times this winter ...folks getting ready for spring.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:05 AM   #7

Hiya Randall! You still drivin' that old bucket of bolts around, haha? More dead Presidents, eh? I take my hat off to you sir—your dedication is commendable.

Like Gilles, I can't offer any assistance on your project...hopefully you've already gotten what you need on the previous posts. But it's good to hear from you!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote