Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

to those who've disassembled a headlight ...

i am thinking about de-ambering my headlights. however, my thoughts were to completely remove the amber components and create a brake duct in place. there is opportunity to route a duct into the area. the corner trim just comes out and, looking underneath, the driving light parts are easily trimmed from the headlight assembly. i can rewire the turn signals to the side marker lights. i think it would be possible to 3D print a duct that would give it all a finished look (perhaps a grill to ape the horn grilles on early 911's?).

the issue would be trimming the headlight cover and sealing it afterwards. those who've worked with them - how easy do you think that would be?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Happen to have a few open at the moment, here's some images of the bits in that area that might help...

How the parts screw together...

Closeup of the indicator area...

The front lenses are very strong, they tend to take chunks out rather than crack if dropped on an edge for example and can take a lot of force when opening them. If you're thinking of cutting out the front amber section I guess it could be done with the right tools, but no idea what they are

As you can see it's not really sealed at all in that area, the bottom black trim on the fog light just screws into the clear trim and sits on top of the open indicator area. Would need to seal this whole area up yourself.

But you do basically have a 'clean' line at the bottom of the clear trim / top of the indicator area, under which you could do something creative without any obstructions.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #3

hmmm, i see that now. something could be done to seal that - a plastic patch of some sort. perhaps the duct insert could bond to the bottom of the headlight to plug the opening under there.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It would be easier to use the triangle corner trim area.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It would be easier to use the triangle corner trim area.
yeah, but would look awkward. cutting at the amber interface follows the trim lines of the hood and front bumper cover. i have an old set of headlights i should just take a saw to and see what is required for a finished look (perhaps just plastic weld a patch to the underside of the headlight and some grille mesh in the opening).

edit - perhaps i'll just take the entire headlight assembly to a glass shop and get them to cut the amber off, then i can just trim the assembly after - no need to remove the cover at all.

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
I think this has real potential. With an open enough grill an amber bulb hidden in the opening or amber LED might work as a turn signal. This sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Garage
Good idea. Go for it and post some pictures

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

Garage
You need to worry about passing a state inspection. Using a marker light as a turn signal is going to fail because it isn't visible from straight ahead. Check the state laws about turn signals before you go radical.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #9

i think james has the soln to that two posts down. the other option is to drill a hole and tuck it up in with the fog/driving light above it (perhaps go for a smaller LED lamp so that it isn't too in the way). or perhaps leave the corner piece in place and put the light behind it - go for an early 911R / outlaw look.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #10

Or put an amber bulb in your fog light and re-wire it to be a turn signal.