Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #21

I have a set of the newish Firestone Indy 500's. Impressed so far and they were omong the cheapest option.

'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooster View Post
I have a set of the newish Firestone Indy 500's. Impressed so far and they were omong the cheapest option.
Me too.

These tires perform well above their modest price. Very pleased with them.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

Long story - you should never have mis-matched front and rear tires. Their characteristics will be different, resulting in unusual (at best) driving situations. You could end up with unpredictable results in rain or high speed driving. It is dangerous to have different tires on the front and rear of a high performance sports car.
Could you expand on this a bit?

I'm about to buy my first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster Base. It goes for PPI on Friday.

The fronts are BFGoodrich GForce Comp2 AS 205/50ZR17

The rears are Eagle F1 Assymetric AS 255/40ZR17

What should I expect?

When I test drove the car I did feel a little wheel bounce that felt like a balance issue, enough that I made balancing a contingency of the sale.
Night_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Rider View Post
Could you expand on this a bit?

I'm about to buy my first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster Base. It goes for PPI on Friday.

The fronts are BFGoodrich GForce Comp2 AS 205/50ZR17

The rears are Eagle F1 Assymetric AS 255/40ZR17

What should I expect?

When I test drove the car I did feel a little wheel bounce that felt like a balance issue, enough that I made balancing a contingency of the sale.
Tires are a series of compromises. Manufacturers must decide how much performance and durability they want to build into a tire, regardless of which type it is (summer, all-season, etc). Even within the "normal" summer tires for a Boxster, there are variations of the theme - ultra high performance vs just summer. Some tires are good in the rain, some not so much. There will also be variations in cornering and braking. Some will get you 25K mi, some barely 8K. How one manufacturer decides to define their summer tire will be different than how another defines theirs. And I haven't even mentioned building tires to a price point and the compromises made to do that.

With that as the backdrop, it becomes obvious that Brand X will have different characteristics than Brand Y. Mixing brands front and rear becomes a toxic cocktail when you get into extreme situations. Driving in rain or thru standing water becomes dangerous if Brand X is good in rain and Brand Y is not. High speed driving can turn a car into more understeer or over-steer with mixed brands vs a neutral balance with a complete set. Even a mundane on or off ramp can become "exciting". And chances are the excitement will come suddenly and without the normal advanced warning.

Go to TireRack and look at their charts comparing tires across 8-10 characteristics. Some tires can be close to each other while some can be on the other end of the spectrum. I've had Mich PS2s, Mich Super Sports, and Continental DWs (lower S, not all-season DWS) on my Cayman. The PS2s were junk - they were harsh and took a full lap to warm up. Super Sports were great on the track and OK in the rain. The DWs are great in the rain and OK on the track. Both were comfortable on the street. 3 tires, 3 different results. Try mixing and matching them. It would be crazy.

Can you buy a car with mixed tires and drive it home? Yes, if you control yourself and drive it like a normal car. But who drives a Porsche like a normal car? There will be some situation you find yourself in that will be dangerous because of mixed tires.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 04-06-2017 at 06:02 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #25

My friend Ed got two new fronts on his 987.1 Cayman S and he accidentally got a different tire on the front, same brand but different model, and took it to the track and said it was virtually undrivable anywhere near the limit. But the ride to/from and around town was fine. He has already ordered two new tires.

Around town you would probably be ok. But like H.B. says, who wants to drive like that
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Pilot Sport 4s tires are not available in sizes that will fit our cars. No 16" or 17" and only 245/14 in 18"

Pilot SuperSports are a better tire than PS2's
Where r u located? Pilot Sports 4 are available on my size here (Ireland).. 18's.. 225 Fronts and 265 Rears.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
itskenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #27

I ended up getting matching front tires to the 4 good rear tires I have. They and the alignment (including caster and camber adjustments) are happening today-will update with how it feels after I pick it up.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
benjamminfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

Can you buy a car with mixed tires and drive it home? Yes, if you control yourself and drive it like a normal car. But who drives a Porsche like a normal car? There will be some situation you find yourself in that will be dangerous because of mixed tires.
Thanks. I'll take the caution. Just due to the economics of it I'll run these till they're done and put a set on then. It will be my daily driver.
Night_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #29
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
When I bought my Boxster it had Bridgestone S-04 on the back and RE 050 on the front. The backs needed replacing but the fronts had 7/32 left. It seemed to handle fine. I subsequently put Goodyear F1 Assymetrics front and back (I junked the rears and sold the fronts for $200). The handing is now superb. Matching tire make and model seems to make a huge difference
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskenallen View Post
Where r u located? Pilot Sports 4 are available on my size here (Ireland).. 18's.. 225 Fronts and 265 Rears.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
In the USA

The Michelin website only lists that one 18" size as does TireRack
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #31
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
+1 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s These are pretty good tires for the price.
+ another 1, I bought 4 the end of January and I am very pleased with them.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #32

Final update from me on this topic: with matching front tires and lots of alignment (comes with buying a $3000 Boxster) the car now drives like it was meant to. I'm running Fuzion tires because since the car came with 4 new rears in that brand, and they are great, though I'm sure the bigger brand tires would still be better.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
benjamminfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Super sports are the only tire I will I put on my car now
Same here, no complaints

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote