Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

stiction in pedal travel?

When I press on the pedals (gas and clutch are most noticeable, but I think it's all 3), I get some stiction that I have to break through to get the pedal to keep moving. So it feels like the pedal has 100 tiny detentes it in as I press in.

Anyone else get that? Only related thread I could find: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35012-pedal-box-bit-squeaky-sticking.html

Can I just put some light lubricant on the hinge rod where the pedals rotate?

kimbo305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #2

I agree, the pedal stiction issues that can afflict these case really detract from the Boxster driving enjoyment and experience!

I determined and wrote up a fix for the e-gas driver's pedal stiction issue. I saw in another thread you posted a mention that your Boxster is a 2004, which it means it's e-gas, so the diy I wrote would likely be applicable - check it out:
E-gas accelerator pedal service

As for the other pedals, my brake pedal is smooth, so I'm sorry but I can't help you there.

The clutch pedal in my 2001 does groan noticeably when operated, and has a bit excessive effort, but I believe the problem is with the clutch throw out bearing and its related lever arm (probably being worn and/or needing lubrication) - will fix when I get around to doing a clutch job (not a huge priority in my case, since the clutch isn't slipping at all, and never has slipped. It does have a very minor amount of chatter which comes and goes...)
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59749-clutch-chatter-cause-correction.html

Try operating the clutch pedal in a quiet environment with the engine switched off, and with the door open. Listen under the car... do you hear a groan coming from behind/underneath the car? If so, probably same issue as mine. When the door is closed and when driving the car, it "feels" like the stiction/groaning problem is in the clutch pedal, but there seems to be nothing wrong with the pedal assembly, and the evidence is pointing to the transmission bellhousing area. Check that out on yours!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jakeru; 04-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Wow, finally saw this reply -- sorry I didn't reply sooner.
When I first pull out from my underground parking spot, I don't hear any groaning. I'll try to pay more attention to it. I've gotten more used to the clutch uptake, which is a bit disappointly non-linear, but still have to get more driving time on it.

I tried actuating the gas pedal while the car was off, with my hand. I couldn't tell that there was any stiction that way. The spring in the potentiometer is purely mechanical, right? I'm puzzled why I wouldn't have felt the little ticks by hand.
kimbo305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo305 View Post
Wow, finally saw this reply -- sorry I didn't reply sooner.
When I first pull out from my underground parking spot, I don't hear any groaning. I'll try to pay more attention to it. I've gotten more used to the clutch uptake, which is a bit disappointly non-linear, but still have to get more driving time on it.
Hey Kimbo - glad to have you back!

The most noticeable way to hear or feel the clutch pedal groan, and locate the source of the sound, at least in my case, is in a quiet environment, with door open, and engine switched off. But of course, no telling your car has same thing going on as mine, but might as well give it a try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo305 View Post
I tried actuating the gas pedal while the car was off, with my hand. I couldn't tell that there was any stiction that way. The spring in the potentiometer is purely mechanical, right? I'm puzzled why I wouldn't have felt the little ticks by hand.
Speaking from my experience, I found the gas pedal stiction tended to be a bit intermittent/unreliable. When it was acting up, I could feel it loud and clear by test-actuating the pedal with my hand! (More sensitive to noticing stiction than by using your foot, IMO).

There were certain conditions (I think maybe temperature or humidity? Never could fully put my finger on it...) where it was more noticeable and problematic than others, those fleeting moments when it seemed OK. But with the fixed as I described, it's reliably smooth, and easy to modulate. It was amazing how much easier it was to launch slowly from a stop. The gas pedal stiction fix, I remember made a big difference in ease of smoothly launching from a stop. Easier to control engine rpms very accurately from a stop, when modulating the clutch.

Last edited by jakeru; 05-01-2017 at 08:24 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote