Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2023, 04:35 PM   #1
New Boxster S owner

2002 Boxster S Radio mistakes

I just bought a 2002 Boxster S and it has the Bose sound system in it. Which is great but the Becker deck only displays half the pixels and I don't have cassettes or CD's anymore so the frunk cd changer and tape ability are not needed.

I've seen a lot of posts about radio changes. All good stuff. For those of you that have put in a new stereo, what do you wish you had done different? What were the mistakes you made that you wish you could go back and redo?

I'm still all over the place on what to do here. I want to keep the Bose amp and speakers if I can. A 2 din unit with Apple CarPlay would be great. But a 1 din that looks stock and is cheap is fine too.

Thanks!

madtown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:53 AM   #2

Continental makes some good looking retro-style 1DIN units with various features. If I were to do it again I'd probably start there. 2 DIN there are lots of options, from cheap Android ones to name brand. I'm preferential to Sony and Pioneer, but that's just me. My mistake I think was not just going 2 DIN from the start. The other mistake (not mine but a previous owner) was that they didn't hook up the power wires correctly, so there was no 'always on' power, which meant it defaulted back to stock settings every time you turned off the car.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:54 AM   #3
New Boxster S owner

I really like the look of the Continental units. Very clean. I wasn't aware of those. Thanks!

I've been on the fence with getting a 2din with CarPlay etc vs. a nice 1din that can connect to bluetooth for music. My "perfect" setup would be wireless CarPlay with a wireless charge mat in the cubby underneath. Or I could just slap a $150 1din head unit in there and go enjoy the car. There's also a price point where it makes sense to just bite the bullet on the PCCM system.
madtown986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #4

I'm going through the same debate with myself right now. I like some of the options from CAI. I'm leaning toward a 2din for car play, but I'm worried the boot up cycle will get slow over time. Let us know what you get!
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #5

I've posted in another thread I think, but I used the existing stereo that a previous owner installed (Kenwood 1 DIN), and added a tablet style Android Auto/Apple Car play screen (that is wireless for AA/Carplay) and a wireless charger on the Rennline mount. It connects to the headunit via the Aux input. It's not pretty but it works. In the future I may try to remove the headunit and recess the display a bit.

redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote