Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Battery Tender Jr. connection question

I got a Battery Tender Jr to keep my Boxster charged. It comes with spring clips and also ring terminal connectors. Both sets of connectors then connect to the A/C end of things, which goes to the wall. Seems pretty straightforward.

My question is about using the ring terminals. The directions don't say. If I choose to use those, do I just connect them to the battery terminals, and leave them there all the time? I'd be able to replace the battery cover, and close the frunk lid to shut off the courtesy light. I'd disconnect those leads from the A/C portion when I want to drive the car, leaving the other ends on the battery terminals. Right? Using the spring clips makes it a hassle to put on and off all the time.

Am I missing something, or is that the right way to use the ring terminals?

Dave

DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

That's the way to do it. Use the ring terminals and leave them connected.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

What you should be using is the cigarette lighter adaptor, the car was built to connect a battery maintainer that way:

Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

+1 On Cigarette Lighter Battery Maintainer

Been using mine like this for 8 years (same battery). Works great and is the easiest thing in the world to hook up.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

I use the clips and run them out between the hood and the windshield for winter storage. My Ktm that doesn't see the same amount of use in the summer and has slightly less easy battery access has the hardwired set.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Boxing in Australia

Just check to make sure cigarette lighter is connected with the ignition off, in some markets (Australia is one) there is no connection when the ignition is off

I have connected mine to the battery direct, just don't forget to disconnect before driving away! Don't ask how I know!

Cheers
Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

If you use the cigarette lighter connection, where do you run the wire through, since the windows will be up and the top secured?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #8

The bottom of the drivers door has a recess in both the door and the weather stripping just below the review mirror, it is there to run the cable into the car so the car can then be locked. Simple, but effective factory design.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Actually....

...there are TWO cutouts on BOTH doors. One at the bottom, and another at the "corner" of the door below the door jam.

Use the cigarette lighter and the cutouts in the doors. Works like a champ.

I use this one, very happy: CTEK Multi US 7002 - CTEK Battery ChargersCTEK Battery Chargers
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the answers. Mine didn't come with a cigarette lighter connector. I can see why that would be a nice option.

Dave
DaveNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #11

So you use the cigarette lighter to connect the battery tender to the battery you are maintaining. Drawing energy from the battery to inject energy into the battery. How does that work? Buck and boost internals in the tender?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
So you use the cigarette lighter to connect the battery tender to the battery you are maintaining. Drawing energy from the battery to inject energy into the battery. How does that work? Buck and boost internals in the tender?
I had wondered the same thing.... but for the last 10 years I have used a Battery Tendered plugged into the cigarette lighter without issue. Perhaps the cigarette lighter has to handle a heavy load to work thus can handle a the Battery Tender.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The bottom of the drivers door has a recess in both the door and the weather stripping just below the review mirror, it is there to run the cable into the car so the car can then be locked. Simple, but effective factory design.
Brilliant. That's a smart design!
Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #14
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Ummmm. No. The battery tender gets plugged into the lighter socket at one end and into a 120 volt outlet at the other end. The tender takes 120 Volts, converts to 12 volts and feeds it to the battery via the lighter socket. No magic here.

That said, I have my tender attached directly to the battery and I simply disconnect it at the cowl. Just like Keith Newby.

Last edited by paulofto; 04-01-2017 at 06:46 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:49 AM   #15

[QUOTE=morgal48;532267]So you use the cigarette lighter to connect the battery tender to the battery you are maintaining. Drawing energy from the battery to inject energy into the battery. How does that work? Buck and boost internals in the tender?[/QU

The battery tender is plugged into an electrical outlet, and is connected to the cigarette lighter for charging. You beat me to it,lol. I use the clips but yes the ring terminals would be a better choice, I used mine on a motorcycle I sold. I have a battery cut off switch installed on the battery, so in the winter months I disconnect the battery, while it's charging.

Last edited by joecal; 04-01-2017 at 07:00 AM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #16

Is there any issue to leaving the battery connected and running the charger into the cig lighter (otherwise you'll need to recode etc.)? I believe the CTEK 7002 will not overcharge the battery (I have a Porsche branded one that I understand WILL overcharge the battery).
Old 04-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
This is what I use from Princess Auto.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/spf1-automatic-battery-charger-extender/A-p8487332e

I picked up 2 using one on my Boxster full time all winter and during driving season if the car sits for any length of time and one on my Fusion since it isn't driven as much in the winter. These will not overcharge and have proven very reliable.

I got them both when Princess had them on sale for about $45.00 CDN I believe a couple of years ago.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Is there any issue to leaving the battery connected and running the charger into the cig lighter (otherwise you'll need to recode etc.)? I believe the CTEK 7002 will not overcharge the battery (I have a Porsche branded one that I understand WILL overcharge the battery).
Depends upon the quality of the maintainer. Good units, like the Ctek, can be left plugged in indefinitely, other lesser units may not actually be maintainers, but are "trickel chargers", which never shut off and can cook the battery over time.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecal View Post
The battery tender is plugged into an electrical outlet, and is connected to the cigarette lighter for charging. You beat me to it,lol. I use the clips but yes the ring terminals would be a better choice, I used mine on a motorcycle I sold. I have a battery cut off switch installed on the battery, so in the winter months I disconnect the battery, while it's charging.
Thanks! That never occurred to me. I use ring terminals on all mine. Old people linear thinking.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks! That never occurred to me. I use ring terminals on all mine. Old people linear thinking.
You're welcome! I need to buy a set of ring terminals, they're inexpensive. Yeah, I'm an old person too.