986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Reasonable Expectations (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65946-reasonable-expectations.html)

pidj 03-29-2017 03:18 AM

Reasonable Expectations

Hi All, I'm new to the group, as well as a new first time owner, of a 2001 Porsche Boxster S:) I come from the world of the BMC >> MGB Roadster. So I have no issue working on things short of lifting motors (my time is valuable - hence my moving on from the MGB) ... So it begs the question: What are reasonable preventative or required maintenance jobs that an average owner would be able to do? For example, I'm thinking I'll pay to have the clutch/RMS/IMS job done, but is it realistic to change the water pump, AOS?

Lot's of info here on the forum and I'm looking forward to spending time driving!!!

Cheers!

NewArt 03-29-2017 04:33 AM

WP is pretty straightforward on the Box. AOS is more fiddley bu doable. Please purchase the Bentley manual and Waynes 101 book, read some of the stickies at the top of this forum, do some searching, and get your hands dirty! Welcome to the forum!
:)

pidj 03-29-2017 05:00 AM

I have a Bentley manual on the way and I'm flagging links through this forum! So, I'm on the right path:)
Thanks!

78F350 03-29-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidj (Post 531887)
... What are reasonable preventative or required maintenance jobs that an average owner would be able to do? For example, I'm thinking I'll pay to have the clutch/RMS/IMS job done, but is it realistic to change the water pump, AOS? ...

Welcome to the forum. I asked a very similar question when I first started here. There's a lot of maintenance that an owner with basic automotive skills can do: Brakes (pads, rotors, flush), engine mount, filters, spark plugs, coils, spark plug tubes, suspension update, belt, water pump, AOS....
and lots of upgrades and modifications such as HID headlights, updated 2 DIN stereo, and exhaust.
These cars are a little different from what you may have worked on before, but not very difficult - easier than many - to work on.
:cheers:

kk2002s 03-29-2017 06:19 AM

Most of the external components can be done by the DIY. It comes down to patience and tenacity to complete the job. Some DIY projects make sense to do together as when in one area you might as well do the other. The AOS would be good to include in the Clutch/IMSB/RMS maybe even the Expansion tank with access opened up with the Tranny removed. WP and Motor Mount share space. You will find what items tend to get fixed together