986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Replace tacho gauge in a cluster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65922-replace-tacho-gauge-cluster.html)

auBoxster 03-26-2017 09:25 PM

Replace tacho gauge in a cluster?

Hi,

I've got a 2002 986 Boxster S and the tacho has decided to report RPMs approx 1,000 lower than it should... in other words the idle speed is at zero and it revs normally on the dial as it should, but just an entire 1,000 rpm lower (or at least that's what it looks like).

I'm assuming the issue is just a broken/faulty Tacho gauge and that maybe I can swap the guts of the dial bits from an old cluster in my cluster.

Does anyone know if that's true and what's involved?

What else could it be?

G

particlewave 03-26-2017 09:46 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting?

You can always swap in new parts, but if the tach is moving, I doubt that would solve it.

auBoxster 03-26-2017 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 531625)
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting?

You can always swap in new parts, but if the tach is moving, I doubt that would solve it.

I will give that a try... :confused:

I'm also wondering if the "faulty ignition switch" gremlin might be part of the problem too...?? have read some weird stuff occurring due to a bad switch.:mad:

G

particlewave 03-26-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auBoxster (Post 531626)
I will give that a try... :confused:

I'm also wondering if the "faulty ignition switch" gremlin might be part of the problem too...?? have read some weird stuff occurring due to a bad switch.:mad:

G

Could be. Wouldn't hurt to try.
The gauge may have just lost its home position, which is why I suggested the full power down.

auBoxster 03-27-2017 02:52 PM

Just my luck the next start the tacho is working fine again. So unless it starts to become more regular I'll just move on. I am thinking that replacing the ignition switch might be my next thing anyway to prevent any weird electrical issues popping up. I'm also going to remove the cluster so I'll be able to reseat the connectors to ensure all is sound in that department.

Annoying little gremlins like this ...

clickman 03-27-2017 02:59 PM

Blame it on Debbie. :D

oldskool73 03-27-2017 04:21 PM

auBoxster - if you don't already have something like it, go to supercheap and get this, it'll make changing the ignition switch a doddle (well, apart from the whole cramming yourself into the footwell upside down bit)... SCA Ratchet Driver - Palm, 7 in 1 - Supercheap Auto