986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65917-edd-china-leaving-wheeler-dealers.html)

BruceH 03-26-2017 01:27 PM

Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers

I just saw this, ruined my day :mad:

https://youtu.be/8IB15T1LYiY

husker boxster 03-26-2017 01:46 PM

Stupid mistake to cut back on the repair part of the pgm, but I suppose Velocity wants to add more fluff to trim costs. The show won't be the same without him. He was the real star. Get non-car ppl involved and all they look for is a quick buck. Their latest episodes aren't free on YT anymore. They charge a cpl bucks to watch them. Really?

It seemed Edd's been grumpy on the last few episodes, wonder if this had anything to do with it? Kind of makes sense now that you know the rest of the story.

Maybe we should start a campaign to flood Velocity with emails.

Frank N 03-26-2017 02:06 PM

Edd was the reason I watched.

I noticed what he was talking about, the cuts to what he did, looks like the mechanics did most everything lately.

BruceH 03-26-2017 02:10 PM

The bean counters never understand the value of what they have if they can not put a hard number on it. It is really a shame. I have been watching WD since the beginning, mainly because of Edd. Mike adds some humor but Edd is the backbone of the show IMHO.

Anker 03-26-2017 02:15 PM

Yes, TopGear is a pretty lame show now that Clarkson, May and Hammond are gone. It is especially painful because the new cast are simply aping what the previous cast did.

So sad!

thstone 03-26-2017 02:39 PM

I couldn't agree more that Edd was the reason to watch!

bwdz 03-26-2017 03:11 PM

Man that sucks, this show to me was always like shade tree mechanic but in an interesting format. Basically it always showed how to perform some task on a vehicle and I still love some of Edd's tricks my favorite being the timing chaing on the SL Mercedes or the Edd fix for the Audi TT trans. The show always pretended like they were trying to make money on a car but was really just a way to show how to own an enthusiast vehicle affordably. I personally have owned and still own a few cars that were featured on the show (E36 M3, Boxster, Audi TT, Cobra replica, Mk2 GTi, 944, foxbody Mustang that's all I can think of off the top of my head)

BirdDog 03-26-2017 03:22 PM

Edd was the reason I watched it too.

Typical bean counters - messing with something that works until they ruin it...

Here's wishing Edd success on his future projects!

kk2002s 03-26-2017 03:32 PM

Saw that UTube the other night and was taken back. Now I understand what I was seeing from the last season.
So they cut back on what made the show became popular, only to watch as the show becomes unpopular. Oh the power and stupidity that surrounds the almighty dollar.
I guess it's time for a "Jump the Shark" episode
Velocity use to be my go to channel but not so much any more

I'll miss you Ed China

Cbonilla 03-26-2017 05:09 PM

Edd was the reason to watch. Sigh, another victory for the bean counters

Steve in NV 03-26-2017 05:22 PM

I liked Wheeler Dealers because it wasn't all about putting on air suspension or painting clear over rust. If you want that go to every other car show. Edd kept it real.

rexcramer 03-26-2017 05:28 PM

I could have gone all day without this news. :mad:

BruceH 03-26-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in NV (Post 531597)
I liked Wheeler Dealers because it wasn't all about putting on air suspension or painting clear over rust. If you want that go to every other car show. Edd kept it real.

Or cussing and drama.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexcramer (Post 531599)
I could have gone all day without this news. :mad:

Me too, when I saw it, my wife asked me what was wrong. I hadn't said a thing but she could tell right away that I was not happy :(

Giller 03-26-2017 06:15 PM

Yeah, this sucks. They got rid of the wrong guy!

Oldcarguy 03-26-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anker (Post 531575)
Yes, TopGear is a pretty lame show now that Clarkson, May and Hammond are gone. It is especially painful because the new cast are simply aping what the previous cast did.

So sad!

Have you seen Clarkson, May and Hammond on Amazon's Grand Tour? The opening of the premiere episode is epic! What a comeback.

Regarding WD, big mistake. Edd is the show.

Porsche9 03-26-2017 09:11 PM

Damit, that's a real bummer. I really enjoyed the show and really liked Edd.

I wish Edd the best of luck and look forward to seeing what he comes up with.

PaulE 03-27-2017 06:16 AM

First Hemmings Sports & Exotics and now this!

I think that Edd made the show. I also think there is more to Mike than we see on the show, but it will never be the same, or as good. Think Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Simon & Garfunkel, Lennon & McCartney, Sonny & Cher.

I fear that Wheeler Dealer will become like Legendary Motor Car. They used to spend a season restoring a special car interspersed with Tom Hintinaw doing some other small stories. Now it is just the father and son blovatiting at each other.

Anker 03-27-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcarguy (Post 531610)
Have you seen Clarkson, May and Hammond on Amazon's Grand Tour? The opening of the premiere episode is epic! What a comeback.

Regarding WD, big mistake. Edd is the show.

Yes, I have. The one from Death Valley was a bit lame, but after that they have picked up nicely. Wish the celebrities wouldn't get killed off before they make the tent. :-)

dsallean 03-27-2017 06:27 AM

What a huge bummer. I think Edd and Mike both brought some different things to the show which made it successful but Edd was the guy I enjoyed the most. Perhaps he will get going with another UK show in the future.

thstone 03-27-2017 06:45 AM

Here are some words on the subject from the man himself about he and Mike Brewer:

"is he my favorite person right now, probably not, and I know for sure that I'm not his..."

Edd China on Mike Brewer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/umWmzN1MqWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>