986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do I remove the soft top roof completely (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65856-how-do-i-remove-soft-top-roof-completely.html)

Gerthbroadside 03-21-2017 12:17 PM

How do I remove the soft top roof completely

Iv been looking everywhere for a guide to removing the soft top but can't find one anywhere. Can anyone give me a link to anything of use or talk me through it
Thanks

RandallNeighbour 03-21-2017 12:50 PM

To remove the top, you need to disengage the control arms on both sides first. They pop out of a socket. Raise the roof to the service position and you'll see them. They will have clear or red plastic ends on them.

After you do this, you need to remove four bolts; two on each side. They're located just below the control arm mentioned above (or whatever it's called!!!!)

After that, you'll need a helper to lift the top off the car.

It's actually really easy to remove a convertible top assembly from a boxster.

Note: Putting it back in is the reverse of the above, but get ready for a bunch of frustration getting the holes aligned properly to put those four bolts back in place. It's a tight fit and they don't want to just slide back into position easily.

WITH REINSTALLATION IN MIND, EXAMINE THE WAY THE TOP COMES OUT AND AWAY FROM THE FOUR BOLT RECEPTACLES AS YOU REMOVE IT!!!!

(sorry to type in all caps, but I am indeed yelling that at you for emphasis so you don't waste 2+ hours with a buddy trying to figure out the positioning of the top when you put it back on the car.)

RandallNeighbour 03-21-2017 12:52 PM

btw, it's probably a great idea to buy a Bentley Repair Manual for your Boxster. Best $50 I spent on the car to date. It has pictures for removing and replacing every single part of the car.

Gerthbroadside 03-21-2017 12:57 PM

That's spot on, thank you. I won't need to worry so much about putting it back on because it's going to have a hard top so I can race it 😬 But thank you for your help 👍

mikefocke 03-21-2017 01:13 PM

Maurice has this for you

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

oldskool73 03-21-2017 03:51 PM

It's 3 bolts each side, not 2, just so you don't wonder why it's not moving :)

The Micke Focke site above should be all you need though.

jsceash 03-21-2017 05:48 PM

I saw this before but disagree.
1. With the roof down, pop the caps on the seat-belts bracket on the roll-bar and remove the 17mm bolt both side seat-belt guide. Drop the belt down along the seat.
2. Just behind the bar you can see a 13mm hex head. Use a 13mm ratcheting box end and remove the bolt from both side.
3. Put the top in the service position un-clip the cover and the 2 cables. Un-clip the window heater wire.
4. There are 2 more 13mm hex screws on the bottom bracket on each side again use the 13mm ratcheting box end wrench and pull them out. one side then the other.
5. The motor crank arm has a flat head allen socket 5mm Hex remove one side then have some one hold the roof while you remove the other side. Let the roof settle down.
6. Slide the roof back, then pick the front pivot up out of the pocket it sets in. Pull out the roof.
I can do it by my self in 30 minutes. but I also pull it out before every DE and put on my hard top so I have some experience doing this.

jsceash 03-21-2017 06:23 PM

Installing.
1. Run the top until the driver side motor arm bolt hole is a about 4-5 O'clock
2. set the back of the roof into the rear deck. push it back then set the front pivot down into the pockets they rest in.
3. Wiggle the frame and eye the front mounting hole to insert the front bolt. 13mm ratcheting box end wrench and run the bolts in each side about 1/2 way.
4. Lift the top with someones help if available either side arm insert the rubber buffer brass ring Tee shoulder spacer and Flat head socket screw in the arm and fasten it to the crank.
5. Repeat step 4. on the other side.
6. Either side wiggle the top frame and align the rear lower bolt hole the body nut hole and insert the bolt 1/2 way. (I find I have to push the frame down and froward)
7. Repeat on the other side.
8. insert the center bolts in the lower frame then tight the 2 lower screws on both sides
9. clip the roof cables and then the rear cover.
10. Lower the roof Tighten the front bolts and install the seat belts.

Chuck W. 03-21-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 531038)
Installing.......

Many thanks for that. I am having the roll bar painted and will be re-installing the top.

SteveK-O 02-22-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 531037)
I saw this before but disagree.
1. With the roof down, pop the caps on the seat-belts bracket on the roll-bar and remove the 17mm bolt both side seat-belt guide. Drop the belt down along the seat.
2. Just behind the bar you can see a 13mm hex head. Use a 13mm ratcheting box end and remove the bolt from both side.
3. Put the top in the service position un-clip the cover and the 2 cables. Un-clip the window heater wire.
4. There are 2 more 13mm hex screws on the bottom bracket on each side again use the 13mm ratcheting box end wrench and pull them out. one side then the other.
5. The motor crank arm has a flat head allen socket 5mm Hex remove one side then have some one hold the roof while you remove the other side. Let the roof settle down.
6. Slide the roof back, then pick the front pivot up out of the pocket it sets in. Pull out the roof.
I can do it by my self in 30 minutes. but I also pull it out before every DE and put on my hard top so I have some experience doing this.

Is my 2005 987S this easy to do? i have a hardtop on and only use this car at the track now. I have reduced weight, but did not want to deal with the soft top. i may convert this car back to street someday, so did not want to screw it up. This sounds fairly easy.

Paul 02-22-2020 06:03 PM

Be careful not to tear the foam drainage trays.

JimmyBad 02-22-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 612243)
Be careful not to tear the foam drainage trays.

Tore mine a few times without having to remove the soft top. Been procrastinating on going in there and applying some silicone on them.

SteveK-O 02-23-2020 06:18 AM

I thought those trays were plastic on my 987.

Here is what the car looks like lowered with the hardtop. Just need to get 140 lb out of it to be at min class weight. That already assumes I contribute 10 more personal pounds. :)

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1582471012.jpg