986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advice: Keep/Sell 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65792-advice-keep-sell-986-a.html)

MACLAB 03-15-2017 04:50 PM

Advice: Keep/Sell 986

Hi guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, please redirect me if otherwise. As the title reads, I am asking for people’s feedback to see if I should keep or sell my 1999 986 Porsche Boxster as I am moving across the country for a job. I am the second owner gifted to me by my dad the previous owner. Shipping the car will cost $1100-1500. Recently, I have received offers for my car for $3500-5000. Below are the facts of the car via my observations and a thorough an inspection by a private Porsche mechanic. Prices are parts + labor. It is important to note, I am not handy and do not have the time to learn, and I am unable to personally drive my car across the country. If the car sells, I am only able to add $1000 immediately, or $2000 in 4 months due to other non-auto costs and existing financial commitments. Being car less will add 2 hrs a day to my work and back home (10hrs a week in total). Moreover, I will need to pay taxes, inspections, title, other repairs for a used car. If I should keep the car, what repairs should I make and what should I look out for in the near future? I welcome all inputs! I thank everyone’s feedback ahead of time and thank you all for your time. Cheers!

General:
-Year: 1999
-Model: 986 Manuel
-Body Type: Convertible soft hood (no leaks)
-Mileage: 168000
-Accidents: none
-Airbags: intact
-Security: functional
-Check Lights: All off
-Gasoline: Always Premium
-Oil Change: Always synthetic, on time

Aesthetics Ext:
-Paint: redone in 2016 (free)
-Headlights: deoxidized in 2016. HID kit installed in 2013

Aesthetics Int.
-Upholstery: cracks and tears on the driver side ($350)
-Carpet: no stains
-Audio: Improved radio with aux and Bluetooth in 2013

Mechanics:
-Battery: replaced in 2015. Current, holds 12.8V engine off
-Alternator: rebuilt in 2014. Currently, puts out 14V
-Tires: replaced in 2016
-Break/pads/sensor: replaced in 2016
-Clutch: replaced in 2015
-Driver Belt/Tensioner: readjusted in 2015
-Brake flush: Needed ($150)
-Fr + Rr Hatch Struts: Needed ($384)
-Engine Filter: Needed ($20)
-Seals/Covers/Sparkplugs: Tube and Vario Car solenoid minor leakage and need new sparkplugs ($640)
-Oil Pan: Minor leakage ($225)
-Fr sway bar links: Needed ($200)
-Car horn: Does not work. Steering wheel needs to be replaced ($350).

Electrical:
-Key fob: cannot auto lock driver. Must insert key.
-Sun visor: Driver side does not light up ($??)
-Dashboard: The time box (lower right) light is out ($??)

mikefocke 03-15-2017 05:11 PM

I see the horn, brake flush and sway links and air filter as immediate. After that an alignment. That should get you through any safety checks in your new state.

All the others can be done whenever money allows.

Some questions come to mind. How would your dad feel if you sold it? How do you feel about the car? Have you priced shipping? Is where you would park at your destination safe for a convertible? Is a rear wheel car fat tire car with the tires it has now safe in winter there?

And if you are so pressed for cash that $1k is all you can spend and you are going to have to pay to have work done and pay to ship it, is this the right car for you?

Go to the craigslist site in your destination city and see what you can buy for what you can get for the car plus your $1k? (Remember taxes, tags, license fees, insurance) Can you do better that way?

dulmer 03-15-2017 05:36 PM

Looks like we're on to something...

An interesting article from Hagerty this week, "Five Concept Cars You Can Own Now". The 986 is included in the list:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2017/03/13/concept-cars-you-can-own?

algiorda 03-15-2017 05:42 PM

I think you mis-posted the link:

Here it is => https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/03/13/concept-cars-you-can-own

bwdz 03-15-2017 06:02 PM

Go on Uship and get some better bids for the transport. The Boxster is a small car and car haulers love that as a car to fill out the last spot on their trailer as it will fit unlinke SUVs so you might be able to get someone who just needs one more car to make it a full load, they charge extra for full size SUVs and pickups but a Boxster should cost less. Only caveat is that usually they don't put a convertible in the bottom of the trailer as the car above it could leak something staining the top.

MACLAB 03-15-2017 06:14 PM

Thank you for the response Mike.

In regards to your questions:

-On the father side, it is not an issue. The car was given to me, and its a do as you must type of deal.
-In regards to environment, weather and parking are not issues.
-Lastly, I love the car and the way it feels, and would own another one in a heart beat in a few years. However, I do not want to make a mistake in keeping a car that is not practical financially at this point. I am able to afford the immediate repairs and shipping if I keep it (including insurance). Not sure if this car will be a greater money hole keeping or more risky than buying another poorly documented car.
-I have examined car posts in my future city, and it would seem the smart choices would be a toyota or honda that is more reliable if I sell the car. However they also have 120000+ milages, with a shady repair history, and I would need to pay taxes etc.

@everyone: Taking this together, I digress, I do not know more anything more than "what needs to be repaired" and hope the 986 community may continue to impart some wisdom of the sustainability of the car at its current condition from previous experience they may have or witnessed. It would seem to me in either case its a gamble but would love to continue to hear the communities views. Obv I wont hold anyone to anything they say down the line as I greatly appreciate the input.

dulmer 03-15-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algiorda (Post 530338)

Whoops...thanks!

78F350 03-15-2017 06:50 PM

I have to say sell it. I love my 99s I have two and have sold three. The thing about 1999 986s is that unless you have some special attachment to that particular car, they are (for now) easily replaceable. The one you have has a lot of miles and needs some work. If you miss it after it's gone, you can very likely find another in similar, or better condition -in the right place, at the right time. Keep the memories, let someone else have the car.

Oh and post a picture. :D

BruceH 03-15-2017 07:17 PM

I say sell it and buy another Porsche when you can afford it. In the meantime, do what I told my kids to do. Lease a new Honda Civic. It will cost less than $2K upfront and less than $200/month for the nest three years of which you will have zero maintenance costs and a very reliable vehicle. At the end of the lease, buy it (that way you also don't have to worry about mileage) for the residual value which will be less than the market value at that time. You can continue to drive it or sell it for more than what you paid. The residual values on Civics are always less than the market value. This of course assume you take good care of it which I am sure you will do.

thstone 03-15-2017 08:59 PM

Keep it.

Put a new engine air filter in yourself ($20) and drive it. There isn't anything on that list that can't wait.

Giller 03-16-2017 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACLAB (Post 530346)
Thank you for the response Mike.

In regards to your questions:

-On the father side, it is not an issue. The car was given to me, and its a do as you must type of deal.
-In regards to environment, weather and parking are not issues.
-Lastly, I love the car and the way it feels, and would own another one in a heart beat in a few years. However, I do not want to make a mistake in keeping a car that is not practical financially at this point. I am able to afford the immediate repairs and shipping if I keep it (including insurance). Not sure if this car will be a greater money hole keeping or more risky than buying another poorly documented car.
-I have examined car posts in my future city, and it would seem the smart choices would be a toyota or honda that is more reliable if I sell the car. However they also have 120000+ milages, with a shady repair history, and I would need to pay taxes etc.

@everyone: Taking this together, I digress, I do not know more anything more than "what needs to be repaired" and hope the 986 community may continue to impart some wisdom of the sustainability of the car at its current condition from previous experience they may have or witnessed. It would seem to me in either case its a gamble but would love to continue to hear the communities views. Obv I wont hold anyone to anything they say down the line as I greatly appreciate the input.

You've been spoiled by the driving you get in a Porsche....moving to a Honda or Toyota is going to be tough. They are not fun cars to drive. Yes, very safe, very reliable...but not fun. That has to factor into the decision too. Life is short.

Frank N 03-16-2017 03:13 AM

For me it would depend on how far the commute will be back and forth to work. Yeah she's old and needs some attention and if you are looking at racking up miles commuting, that Civic idea would probably be a better approach financially.

Ciao 03-16-2017 05:11 AM

Seems you have answered your own question. You love the Porche, used Hondas and other rice burners are shady in maintenance records. Keep it; you will be disappointed if you don't.

Paul 03-16-2017 06:24 AM

Sell it and lease a Honda Fit or Civic with the proceeds. Should be able to cover all upfront and a lot of the payments costs. Our local dealer sometimes runs a 0,0,0 promotion.

Paul 03-16-2017 06:31 AM

Current Offers and Leases on New Honda Cars - Official Website

Need_for_speed 03-16-2017 07:16 AM

What's the nature of your commute to work at your new location? That would be my deciding factor. Here's why: my commute to work is nothing but crappy roads and incredible congestion with stop and go traffic. To make matters worse, I work on a military base, so my commute includes sitting in long lines waiting to get through the security gate.

So, I don't drive my Boxster to work much anymore. It's just too damn hard on the clutch and everything else. Plus, it's no fun to drive a car like this in slow, heavy traffic. If I had at least a clear 15 minutes of high speed freeway driving, I'd drive it more, but that's not the case. I have a nice little Scion with an automatic that is the commuting car. The Boxster is for fun.

If your commute is a nice, wide open drive with minimal traffic, I would say, keep your Boxster. If you went with something cheap and reliable, you would really miss your car. If you have a crappy commute like me, lease a Honda, and save up for a fun car later in life.

PaulE 03-16-2017 05:12 PM

It sounds like you're going to need a car when you move, the extra 10 hours a week with no car could be a killer for you. Keep the car if you can't get into a cheap lease or otherwise have a car after you move.

jvfante 03-16-2017 05:48 PM

Ask yourself, "Money aside, would I like to have my Boxster in my new city?" If the answer is yes, you know it's worth the cost of shipping it.

As you probably know, when you sell a car, you take a beating, financially, especially if you are in a hurry. Someone always comes along and offers you peanuts and you take the offer.

If you buy a used car in the new city, just to have wheels, you end up with a sensible, but dull, Honda and have to remind all your new friends that you really are saving up for a Boxster.

Sounds to me like you should keep it and continue to have a car that is fun to drive.

It's not about the money, after all.

jdlmodelt 03-16-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 530405)
Seems you have answered your own question. You love the Porche, used Hondas and other rice burners are shady in maintenance records. Keep it; you will be disappointed if you don't.

Hondas are cheap regarding maintenance but still. Having owned several Hondas, next to no maintenance and my 99 Boxster, not bad maintenance. I say keep it.

aczyzewski 03-16-2017 09:13 PM

I say give it back to your dad. He can enjoy it again and tinker with it while you do your new thing. You'll get it back some day. And then maybe there will be a time when you give it to your son.