Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #1

Garage
Oil Filter

Last weekend I picked up some Castrol Synthetic at the local auto parts store, they were running a special of five qts. @ $28.00, and it included a K&N oil filter. I got two of the jugs, and automatically got two oil filters. Not sure if I will use these in the car as I usually use the Mahle or Hengst from Pelican. Are these comparable to those?

cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribfiller View Post
Last weekend I picked up some Castrol Synthetic at the local auto parts store, they were running a special of five qts. @ $28.00, and it included a K&N oil filter. I got two of the jugs, and automatically got two oil filters. Not sure if I will use these in the car as I usually use the Mahle or Hengst from Pelican. Are these comparable to those?
Personally I never used K&N oil filters but per reviews I've read online they feel cheap compared to OEM, Mahle and Hengst. I always use Hengst from Pelican Parts but really it's just to save a couple bucks. My dad is a retired Toyota mechanic so OEM was preached to me my whole life.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
If their oil filters are anything like their air filters... then hell to the no no.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
If their oil filters are anything like their air filters... then hell to the no no.
Pre-oiled. :P
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I've used Mahle, Hengst, Fram and K&N at one time or other. There is a K&N in the car now. I've never seen a difference. What would you see if there was a difference? Other than the colour of the filter material they all look the same. They look even more the same when they are used.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for the comments, for now I will put them in the storage box and make the call when I change the oil. I might just do a filter change mid summer to keep an eye on things.
cribfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

Who among us knows the specs enough to be able to be confident of the difference. What would they be anyway? I suppose microns to measure the porosity, some gph figure to show the amount of oil that would pass through at some industry standard pressure?

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote