986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   +23 hp from just a catback exhaust?! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65749-23-hp-just-catback-exhaust.html)

Boxtaboy 03-12-2017 06:18 AM

+23 hp from just a catback exhaust?!
 
Isn't this the eBay exhaust? 23hp huh? That's a bargain!
https://youtu.be/pgPNdECWOns

itsnotanova 03-12-2017 06:38 AM

23hp!! Maybe if they opened up the rest of the exhaust too

Boxtaboy 03-12-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 529923)
23hp!! Maybe if they opened up the rest of the exhaust too

Who knew a rebranded eBay muffler could net you that much gain! :D

jcslocum 03-12-2017 06:57 AM

Get 2 and add 46hp!!!

Boxtaboy 03-12-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 529925)
Get 2 and add 46hp!!!

Cheaper than swapping in a 3.4L!

Ciao 03-12-2017 07:50 AM

If it sounds too good to be true ...
Nice commercial and exhaust note, but where's the evidence/data in increased HP?

Boxtaboy 03-12-2017 08:03 AM

They say in the video's description that they used a Mustang dyno to confirm the numbers.

Ciao 03-12-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy (Post 529934)
They say in the video's description that they used a Mustang dyno to confirm the numbers.

It would be nice to show a document, graphed data, to show the comparison much like Fabspeed does. Fabspeed costs more but their data shows much less gain in hp and tq with documented proof.

Boxtaboy 03-12-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciao (Post 529938)
It would be nice to show a document, graphed data, to show the comparison much like Fabspeed does. Fabspeed costs more but their data shows much less gain in hp and tq with documented proof.

I agree. I think it's bunk. There's no way that thing provides a gain of 23hp, unless they meant that they threw a Ford Mustang on that dyno after installing the exhaust. LOL. Nice marketing though.

bwdz 03-12-2017 01:13 PM

Guys, here is how you debunk this, 23hp and 11ft lbs of torque is their claim. Horsepower is torque X rpm / 5250 so there you go, the math is way off. If you gain 11 ft lbs of torque the engine would have to be at 10,500 rpm to gain 22hp. I know that the torque comes in somewhere else in the rev range but say they claim the 23 hp is gained at 6200 rpm (where the Boxster s peak hp is listed) it would mean the torque would have to be up 19 ft lbs. So yes, bs is what this is. Back in the 90s I worked in a performance shop and we had a flowbench and a dyno and tested competitors products against ours. Back in those days on the Mustangs they had all these chips that claimed 30hp or the like, what they didn't tell you is that you gained 30 hp at some unusable rpm long after you shifted, the peak hp rose like 4hp.

Topless 03-12-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy (Post 529928)
Cheaper than swapping in a 3.4L!

They forgot to mention swapping-in a 3.4L before bolting on the exhaust for the dyno run. :D

People say a lot of things while trying to peddle merchandise on the net. What was it PT Barnum was credited with saying? I can't recall it right now...

TQ x RPM / 5252 is the formula for calculating HP. Yes, their math is wrong.

Jamesp 03-13-2017 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 529925)
Get 2 and add 46hp!!!

I'm getting three.

DrCactus 03-13-2017 08:16 AM

Rule of thumb in life... sounds too good to be true, it usually is - stay away from it and save up for something good. Better yet, just make louder sounds with your lips just like having a hockey hard on your spokes !! Vrooom Vrooom... just gained 23hp right there.

thstone 03-13-2017 08:18 AM

I dyno tested this cat back exhaust and the actual increase is 7hp at the very top end (no additional power in the low or mid-range).

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51783-top-speed-pro-1-catback-exhaust-hp-increase.html

edc 03-13-2017 09:25 AM

I put mine on the dyno before and after too and had similar results. Mine was with the manifolds too but did show gains from the mid-range at about circa 9bhp http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/47555-tuned-modified-2000-boxster-s.html

DarkStar 03-13-2017 01:34 PM

While I haven't dyno'ed the car, I have noticed an insane increase in power. The car feels completely new. I have all Ebay Headers, Secondary Pipes (catless), Custom U Bend's and a "Beluga Racing" Muffler from Ebay. The sound is the most orgasmic thing I've heard in a very long time. With the full exhaust there is virtually no drone in all RPM Bands, With just the Muffler there is reasonable drone around 2k to 3k but the exhaust gets quiet after a while and in higher rpm.

I started with Headers, Then Muffler. But the real change in the way it all sounded was completing it with the Secondary Pipes without cats. I do have to pass emissions tests but thats fine as long as the car is running good with no check engine lights. And my O2's without the extenders read mildly ok. My O2's however are sometimes throwing the "old o2" code. which is claiming they are dying so they will be replaced here soon after I do emissions to re register my 986 in a week.

I was planning on building my own exhaust because the cost of a "race exhaust" or any exhaust if you made it yourself, would cost a ton cheaper than purchasing some name brand overpriced piece of metal. NO Exhaust should cost thousands of dollars for the short length of a Porsche.
But I just said screw it, bought the ebay parts since they will only be on the car for another year or so before I swap the motor.

The car has lots more low end torque, Front end lifts up pretty high if I slam the gas at low speeds.

I wish I could take a video of the sound but I'm all alone right now. I do have a video of just the headers and muffler but the sound changed a lot (for the better) when I did the test pipes. I honestly say its a very nice exhaust.

I also couldn't find any U Pipes that were the right size for the new exhaust, since the new exhaust is much larger in size. All the aftermarket U Pipes I found were the same size as stock. So I made my own out of some Flex Pipe for now.

Muffler 299 Shipped
Test Pipes 160 Shipped
U Pipes 25 Local
Headers 113 Shipped.

So for 600 dollars you have a really awesome sounding full exhaust system that will give you some gains, now if you have the ability to tune or have someone tune it, I'd do this also for additional gains. DO NOT Just install a muffler, you're not doing anything but making the exhaust a little louder. The real issues in performance is the stock Headers and Cats. Their design and pipe diameter is a HUGE restriction.

Headers

Test Pipes (Secondaries)

Muffler

itskenallen 03-13-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkStar (Post 530046)
While I haven't dyno'ed the car, I have noticed an insane increase in power. The car feels completely new. I have all Ebay Headers, Secondary Pipes (catless), Custom U Bend's and a "Beluga Racing" Muffler from Ebay. The sound is the most orgasmic thing I've heard in a very long time. With the full exhaust there is virtually no drone in all RPM Bands, With just the Muffler there is reasonable drone around 2k to 3k but the exhaust gets quiet after a while and in higher rpm.

I started with Headers, Then Muffler. But the real change in the way it all sounded was completing it with the Secondary Pipes without cats. I do have to pass emissions tests but thats fine as long as the car is running good with no check engine lights. And my O2's without the extenders read mildly ok. My O2's however are sometimes throwing the "old o2" code. which is claiming they are dying so they will be replaced here soon after I do emissions to re register my 986 in a week.

I was planning on building my own exhaust because the cost of a "race exhaust" or any exhaust if you made it yourself, would cost a ton cheaper than purchasing some name brand overpriced piece of metal. NO Exhaust should cost thousands of dollars for the short length of a Porsche.
But I just said screw it, bought the ebay parts since they will only be on the car for another year or so before I swap the motor.

The car has lots more low end torque, Front end lifts up pretty high if I slam the gas at low speeds.

I wish I could take a video of the sound but I'm all alone right now. I do have a video of just the headers and muffler but the sound changed a lot (for the better) when I did the test pipes. I honestly say its a very nice exhaust.

I also couldn't find any U Pipes that were the right size for the new exhaust, since the new exhaust is much larger in size. All the aftermarket U Pipes I found were the same size as stock. So I made my own out of some Flex Pipe for now.

Muffler 299 Shipped
Test Pipes 160 Shipped
U Pipes 25 Local
Headers 113 Shipped.

So for 600 dollars you have a really awesome sounding full exhaust system that will give you some gains, now if you have the ability to tune or have someone tune it, I'd do this also for additional gains. DO NOT Just install a muffler, you're not doing anything but making the exhaust a little louder. The real issues in performance is the stock Headers and Cats. Their design and pipe diameter is a HUGE restriction.

Headers

Test Pipes (Secondaries)

Muffler

I'd love to hear a few clips of this

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

DarkStar 03-13-2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itskenallen (Post 530055)
I'd love to hear a few clips of this

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Its not perfect, But this was today on the freeway. 4th Gear, around 4k RPM up and down. The loud part I was going under a bridge so it got pretty loud, Scared some dude in a Hellcat. I know its not perfect but it gives you an idea of the sounds you'd be hearing. This is up against the wall with one window (nearest the wall) down, so the sound is bouncing back. If the windows are up its not loud inside the car, tho you can tell there is an exhaust.

https://soundcloud.com/joshua-gray-11/porsche-986-full-exhaust

Cbonilla 03-14-2017 05:21 AM

If it adds any hp it will only be at or near redline. Below that, all this mod can do is increase the noise level

jcslocum 03-14-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 530019)
I dyno tested this cat back exhaust and the actual increase is 7hp at the very top end (no additional power in the low or mid-range).

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51783-top-speed-pro-1-catback-exhaust-hp-increase.html

There you go, you, you, you... "Debbie Downer" using facts to confuse us all!!! I have my top speed system and it's good for 23HP, It says so on the interwebs :-)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website