986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Durametric cable (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65686-durametric-cable.html)

flouese 03-07-2017 04:31 AM

Durametric cable

There is an individual renting his Durametric cable for 10 days for $99. With my 99 Box experiencing a plethora of problems; smoking, stalling, hard start and a an air leak. Will using the durametric point me in the right direction for repairs? Does it provide solutions? Or would the $99 be better spent somewhere else?

If this was my 912, I would be all over the repairs since there is no technology or vacuum lines. The 986 is making me crazy... actually being a submarine Sailor for 30 years already made me crazy...

FRUSTURATED IN JACKSONVILLE!!!

jcslocum 03-07-2017 05:40 AM

Do you have a basic code reader for any regular codes thrown???

I also have a 912 and know you from the 912 board.

Drop me an email slocumjonATgmailDOTcom

Deserion 03-07-2017 05:42 AM

If I had a Professional kit, I'd let you use it for free. :)

The base Enthusiast kit is $287. Personally I'd give that consideration especially if something may come up in the future.

bwdz 03-07-2017 07:00 AM

If it can be safely driven why don't you take it an independent VW Porsche shop and have them check it out, most charge a modest check out fee in the hopes of getting your business so it might be around the $99 mark that you would spend on renting a tool they already have and are competent at using.

Gelbster 03-07-2017 07:20 AM

Some of us are Durametric fan boys(me) .The part that is often missed (also by me) is the knowledge and experience required to get a full, accurate diagnosis from the Durametric data. And then how to combine it with other diagnostic techniques/tools like an Electronic Engine Ear.
If you post the codes/freeze frame and other symptoms here with your problem described , you will be impressed by the upgrade in responses.
Buying the cable is a reasonable expense imho. Acquiring the knowledge and skills is daunting. Durametric Tech help is good but only in terms of how to use their tool(not clones from Flebay!). Understandably ,they are not in the Tech advice biz.
I use mine more than I expected.I have it loaded on an old lap top with all my other P-car sources/manuals.Invaluable.
Even if you use a competent,honest Indie(yes I am biased) , your Durametric info will get you valuable results there too.
I understand your 'crazy' comment -I have never experienced a more troublesome car - and we work on Jags, Rovers & AM !

thstone 03-07-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flouese (Post 529378)
Will using the durametric point me in the right direction for repairs?

Yes and no. The Durametric will read the Porsche specific codes, allow you to test some of the subsystems manually, and will erase some specific faults (like an airbag light), but it won't point you in the right direction for repairs much more than a $40 OBDII reader.

Quote:

Does it provide solutions?

No. It will provide error codes which need to be deciphered and interpreted to determine where the failure might be. The Durametric is not a replacement for the Bentley or factory repair manuals which provide troubleshooting and diagnostic procedures.

Quote:

Or would the $99 be better spent somewhere else?

IMHO, yes. Buy a cheap OBDII code reader and a Bentley repair manual. Then read out codes and use the Bentley to guide troubleshooting and diagnosis. You can also post the codes here on the forum (or search this and other forums) to find the most likely causes and solutions.

flouese 03-08-2017 08:20 AM

I have an OBDII reader and use it every time I get a CEL.

CEL codes:
Every few days I the P0410
every other week or so the P1411 shows up
today I got a new one: P0102

I've looked up the codes in the Bently, but it appears there is a lot of "Easter egging" to fix the problem. Previous posts say the 0410 is no big deal and will not not cause any long term problems, just poorer gas mileage.
P0102 - MAF changed out with OEM <10K miles. Pulled it out a few days ago and cleaned it. Not sure why this one popped up.
P1411 Secondary air injection system cyl 4-6. How do I figure out which of the components of the system is the problem???

NewArt 03-08-2017 05:57 PM

I think a trip to a competent indy would be worthwhile. Pay for the diagnostic then you can do the work yourself if you feel up to it.