986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cabin Air Filters and Convertibles (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64998-cabin-air-filters-convertibles.html)

Giller 01-14-2017 03:45 PM

Cabin Air Filters and Convertibles

Hey guys....regularly change my cabin air filter on my other cars - but does one need to do that on a convertible? In a closed car, the air filter can make a big difference, but on an open topped cruiser - what exactly does the cabin air filter do? Does it need changed regularly like a closed vehicle would?
Sorry, but having trouble visualizing the benefit as all the dirt and smells and bugs etc just come in through the big, non-filtered hole where the roof normally is. What am I missing.
Thanks!

BoxsterSteve 01-14-2017 05:03 PM

You're not missing anything.
I don't see the point of a cabin air filter in a convertible either.
Maybe it's the bagged milk.

rick3000 01-14-2017 05:55 PM

If you drive exclusively with the top down, it won't do anything, but it can make a difference whenever the top is up. I use a hardtop most of the year, so I like having a cabin filter. For $20 every 15k miles I don't see a reason not to have one.

dghii 01-14-2017 06:24 PM

Just happened to check mine this weekend while changing my battery.....it was filthy!! Its been about 7 years since I replaced it although I know I've blown it out a few times. I put it back in. Guess I'll include one in my next parts order but as my car is mostly a top down car, I'm not too worriied about it!

alynch 01-15-2017 06:36 PM

Cabin air filters also filter the air to the AC evaporator to prevent dirt build up on the coils. Dirty coils can compromise the operation of the AC system.

Deserion 01-15-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alynch (Post 522868)
Cabin air filters also filter the air to the AC evaporator to prevent dirt build up on the coils. Dirty coils can compromise the operation of the AC system.

Which is why I wish my 964 had them. :(

I mostly drive my Boxster with the roof up (during the day at least) so I change the filter with a charcoal unit once a year. Plus helps keep the cigarette smoke odors from other drivers out.

Gelbster 01-16-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

A generic (carbon/charcol activated??) filter is less than $20.
Can you imagine the work involved in cleaning the evaporator coils ?

Lew 01-16-2017 08:28 AM

I just changed mine along with the air filter and the drive belt all from Pelican.....I am not going to try and out think Porsche. Filters are in place for a reason.

lkchris 01-16-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

But, but ... why do convertibles have air conditioning?

Same overthinking.