Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Crib

Garage
Air intake valve noise - under pollen filter

Hi all,

Ever since i bought my Boxster a bit over a year ago i've had a crumbling/cracking noise in front of the passenger.

Since it is now tucked away for our northern winter season i decided to have a look. After removing the pollen filter i notice that the motorized intake valve controlling air flow seems to be the culprit.

Take a look at this clip and hear the noise while the valve moves.https://youtu.be/TBJBmHdEvQg

I'd appreciate some hints if you have any before I start disembling the parts, since the plastic cover around the valve seems to be a PITA to remove due to some screws being in really bad positions.

Can it be the valves motor or the valve hitting something?

Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Crib

Garage
Come on you Boxster geniouses - i know the answer is out there!

Jokes aside, I have the day off tomorrow and will do some more investigations.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #3

Garage
Where is the motor that controls flap? I thought it was inside the passenger compartment and under the dash board.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #4
Crib

Garage
Hi,

It must be yes, deep above the blower motor and other crap. It looks like a real pain to get to it.

What I did now was to wiggle the flap on it's axle back and forth, the position on the axle can be changed with gentle force. It is now positionen "one click" clockwise on the axle.

The result was that the annoying sound disappeared, but i have a feeling that this will mess with the air flow since the flap now sits in a bit more "open" position. It will probably not allow the recirculation to work properly this way.

I'll have to wait until i take the car out again to see how it behaves.

Regards
Crib