Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Stereo Aux Conversion

Hi.

Here is another project....I hope you're not getting tired of me. I searched and read a bunch, but did not quite answer this one.

My wire harness plug on the back on my CR-210 looks like this.

That blue one is the plug I want to replace that has my Aux input. The problem is, my harness plug is all one piece. The yellow, green and blue plugs are connected to each other. It seems like they should be able to slide out of each other, but I'm not sure how to do that. Can that be done? Do I just need to use serious force?

Then assuming I can get them apart, will the Aux cable work if I put that one in place of the Changer plug?

Thoughts?

BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerRoadie View Post
Hi.

Here is another project....I hope you're not getting tired of me. I searched and read a bunch, but did not quite answer this one.

My wire harness plug on the back on my CR-210 looks like this.

That blue one is the plug I want to replace that has my Aux input. The problem is, my harness plug is all one piece. The yellow, green and blue plugs are connected to each other. It seems like they should be able to slide out of each other, but I'm not sure how to do that. Can that be done? Do I just need to use serious force?

Then assuming I can get them apart, will the Aux cable work if I put that one in place of the Changer plug?

Thoughts?
If you look closely, you will see a small tab on between the blue and green connector. Press it and push the plag away from you when the wires are facing you. Very easy. No force needed.
Slide on the new plug, ant it should work.
I've just done it on Monday.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You should be able to separate those three connectors. I have not done it so I can't offer any advice, however some of the connectors on this car require a lot of force.

Have you looked at the Becker wiring diagram (pinout)? You might be able to just insert the pins for the AUX directly into the existing plug? Unless you have a CD changer the AUX pins should be open.

Pins 13 & 14, the pinout should be the same between the 210 & 220.
Link:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/bt-brknp.pdf
Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #4

Couple things....

I did see that little tiny tab between the blue and green plugs. I tried to pull it back and move the plugs, but it would not budge. I felt like I either wasn't getting the tab pulled back properly or the force was not enough. I thought I'd need some pliers to grip it. I can try that again.

Also, I do have a CD changer and factory amp.

I found this, but I'm still not sure how this would work.

AUX-BKR Auxiliay input Jack for Select Becker Radios with CD Changer :: Auxiliary Input Adapters
Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Couple things....

I did see that little tiny tab between the blue and green plugs. I tried to pull it back and move the plugs, but it would not budge. I felt like I either wasn't getting the tab pulled back properly or the force was not enough. I thought I'd need some pliers to grip it. I can try that again.

Also, I do have a CD changer and factory amp.

I found this, but I'm still not sure how this would work.

AUX-BKR Auxiliay input Jack for Select Becker Radios with CD Changer :: Auxiliary Input Adapters
Do you want to keep the cd changer connected?
I left it disconnected as I don't use it anymore. All my music is on my phone, and I usually hit the shuffle button. Cd changer is useless to me.
If you go my route, this one will do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/HEADPHONE-SMARTPHONE-iPHONE-ADAPTER-GETWIREDUSA/dp/B01ASJYQ9S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481390904&sr=8-3&keywords=Becker+blue+plug
Let me know if separating the plugs didn't work for you. I will try and post a video tonight. Doing some suspension work, so the car is on the lift.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #6

UPDATE:

I was able to swap out the blue connector. I used a little screw driver to press in on the locking clip and once released, it popped the connector off just like you guys said it would. The new Aux connector is on.

Here's the problem, I don't know how to program the HU to enable the Aux feature. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and one guy held down the TP button for 8 seconds. That did not work on this deck.

Anyone know how to do that?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
So it looks like the item you linked too is the only option for adding AUX input to a CDR-210 that keeps the ability to use the CD changer. They also have a cheaper option, that disables the CD Changer. Your only other option would be a connection that connects between the headunit and the radio antenna, however those can have interference issues if anyone broadcasts on the channel the aux input is using.

It looks like the AUX-BKR simply gets inserted between the blue plug. I would would not dash mount the 3.5mm input however. I would run the cable behind the dash, and connect it to a ground loop isolator (you will probably need one), to remove any static the cables might pickup, then you can connect it to whatever audio connection you would like to use, and run it out from behind the dash.

The way my AUX input is set up:
HeadUnit -> AUX Input Cable -> Ground Loop Isolator -> Power & Audio to USB -> USB to Lightning (or 30-Pin, or mini-USB)
*The power is connected to the phone connector switched 12V under the dash.

Hope that helps!

EDIT:
Per your post above, I believe on the CDR-210 when you replace the CD changer you access the AUX input as if your where using the CD changer. You may need to have a CD in the changer so that the system 'recognizes' it. Can you link to which cable you installed? Is it the one you linked to above or a different one?

Last edited by rick3000; 12-10-2016 at 08:40 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

Meir et all,

Yeah, I did get the blue connectors swapped out. I also don't car about using the CD change.

I just can't figure out how to program it
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #9

Rick3000 and all hands on deck that may know a trick or two!!

That was a good idea. Made sense to me so I tried it. I loaded a CD into the CD Change (Steely Dan) and the changer grabbed the changer jacket made a noise (like it was working in a good way).

I went in the car and it said the CD was loading. It cycled through all 6 CD's said nothing was loaded and went back to the radio. I figured I must have loaded the disk up-side-down.

Now, the changer will not eject the CD jacket. I cannot get it to release it.

So I read some posts on this topic and one of the logical suggestions was to cycle to power to the Changer. Long story short, I removed the changer from its mounting so I could get to the power cable, but I cannot get the cable to separate!! The two arrows line up with each other, but I cannot rotate the plug connector or pull it apart. I don't want to force anything here.

So, it's all back together, but I'm at two losses now; how to program the deck to "see" the AUX and how the heck to get my changer to release that disk!!

HELP!!!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Slow down and use Google, haha
The answers you seek are out there.

The CDR-210 does not have aux option.
You have to use a CD to fool it. Can't help with the stuck cartridge, but I'm sure the answer is out there.
If you need to cycle power and are fighting with another connector, just pull the fuse.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-10-2016 at 10:24 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

I tried to eject the cartridge after pulling the 7.5amp fuse for a few minute. Put the code back in and gave it a try.

After pressing the eject button very briefly, I heard the motor start to work and then quickly stopped. The cartridge didn't even move (it was too quick I imagine).

So I tried again and this time nothing happened. I going to try again and wait longer, not sure that matters.

UPDATE: same result as the first. It made a quick attempt to move and quit.

Sounds like my Steely Dan CD is stuck for the ages!!

Last edited by BoomerRoadie; 12-10-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Time to pull it out and start taking it apart!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #13
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Meir et all,

Yeah, I did get the blue connectors swapped out. I also don't car about using the CD change.

I just can't figure out how to program it
this one is for the 220. see if it works.

To enable AUX on CDR-220;

1. Turn radio on
2. Press and hold the "TP" button for about 8 seconds until "Becker 1" is displayed.
3. Turn the Tuning Knob until AUX OFF is displayed.
4. Press either button located directly under the Arrows on the display to
change the present setting from OFF to ON.
5. Turn radio OFF.
6. Turn Radio back “ON” and press “S” button to select AUX Mode.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #14

Mier and particlewave,

I don't think my CR-210 can be programed. When I press the TP button for any length of time, it just spins through all the radio stations.

particlewave, how exactly do you trick it? Can you explain the process?

Thx!!
Old 12-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
From what I've read, you just put a cd (blank?) in the changer and select that cd to play on repeat. I don't have factory equipment, so this is just based on Internet posts and seeing what others have gone through over the years.

Which cable did you use?

Yeah, the CDR-210 does not have an aux option.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-11-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
CEL P0306

Garage
Like particlewave says...

On Sep 6, 2016, at 7:37 AM, ClassicService wrote:

Aaron,'
The CDR210 does not have the option for an AUX.

You can upgrade to a CDR220 which is period 99-02. the radio is plug n play. the 220 has a AUX option and we have cables for iphone or streaming for the 220. We have them fully restored for $599 with a 1 year warranty.

Tom Mitchell
Becker Autosound LLC
101 RT 46 W
Saddle Brook NJ 07663
201-773-0976
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #17

If you want a CDR-220 hit Woodie (itsnotanova) up. I would bet if he has one the price will knock your socks off.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

And your CDR 210 is worth a pretty penny. $400 to $500 on eBay.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #18

Why/How is the CR-210 that valuable? I don't get it.

My deck works and looks perfectly.

I may have to look at how some guys re-wired the CD changer pin to enable the AUX cable to work.

That said, my first order of business is to get the damn CD cartridge/magazine un-stuck from the Changer!!!

I have no idea how I'm going to manage that. From what I've read its a real PITS!!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Why/How is the CR-210 that valuable? I don't get it.

My deck works and looks perfectly.

I may have to look at how some guys re-wired the CD changer pin to enable the AUX cable to work.

That said, my first order of business is to get the damn CD cartridge/magazine un-stuck from the Changer!!!

I have no idea how I'm going to manage that. From what I've read its a real PITS!!
I think that the CDR-210 is more of a classic/collectable for people restoring the air cooled cars.
One of my cars came with a CDR-210 boxed up in the frunk. It sold fast on eBay with a $379 buy it now.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/62929-cdr-210-excellent-condition.html

I have a couple CD changers in storage, CDC-3 I think. One good, one maybe good. Let me know if you want one or parts of one.

Last edited by 78F350; 12-13-2016 at 08:23 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #20

So, I have the CD Changer completely disassembled. Its like a freaken WWII Bomb Sight!!! There are extra parts and springs and it starts to disassemble itself when you stop looking at it!!!

This thing is ridiculous. I still can't get the damn CD out, but I am learning how this thing works. I can at least get the motor to spin for a few seconds and I get two tries, the first at power up and the second try is when I press the eject botton. I cant seem to get the gear to engage. That said, I cant seem to release the cartridge either.

I can post some pictures just for fun.