986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   "Gurgling" Noise in Dash (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64627-gurgling-noise-dash.html)

Need_for_speed 12-09-2016 12:13 PM

"Gurgling" Noise in Dash

Couldn't find anything in search on this one.

Issue: weird sort of "gurgling" noise in dash area.

I've only noticed it in cold weather with the top up, so I'm assuming it has something to do maybe with the heater core, antifreeze moving through hoses...I don't know. Maybe it's all the time and I just hear it with the top up.

No trouble lights, no codes, car runs great. Heater and AC work fine. Assuming this is just something everyone knows about except me...

Thanks!
Kevin

BoxsterSteve 12-09-2016 04:28 PM

Sounds like you could have an air pocket trapped in the heater core.

thstone 12-09-2016 04:43 PM

A little more explanation...

The coolant continually circulates thru the heater core - whether the heater is on or off. Thus, as BoxsterSteve suggests, its likely that there is an air pocket in the heater core creating the gurgling sound.

I'd start with bleeding the coolant system (lots of posts on this topic).

jcslocum 12-10-2016 03:59 AM

There's no control valve on the core??

Meir 12-10-2016 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 519115)
There's no control valve on the core??

No. there is not.
The hot and cold air coming out of the vents, are controlled by flaps inside the air box.
For the same reason, vehicles that have foam coming out of the vents, usually don't have heat.

Need_for_speed 12-10-2016 07:19 AM

Thanks guys. This is a weird one!
When I drove the car home from the dealership last January, I noticed it was making the noise, but since the heater worked great, I didn't think much of it. Shortly after, I dropped her off with a very experienced indie for a long list of projects, which included a complete cooling system flush. So if there was any air in the system, I would assume the flush and bleed he did should've done the trick, so I can't help but think this must be something else. I swear it sounds like fluid circulating.

BTW, I just have to say, I'm in awe of some of you guys, and I don't think we always thank everyone enough for jumping on here so unselfishly to help people out. I had some free time on my hands recently and I was going through some threads. Meir, if I ever need to dig into my dash, I'm buying you a round trip ticket to New England. That post you did on the dash teardown was brilliant. JC, I read your entire thread on your daughter's Boxster. That daughter of yours absolutely rocks. One talented young lady. I also live vicariously through Tom's racing thread. You guys make this forum great!

BoxsterSteve 12-10-2016 07:24 AM

The heater core in these cars is the highest point in the system, perfect for trapping air.
I must have had beginner's luck when I did my flush & fill, as I did it with a borrowed UView and a crappy 8 gal. Compressor to evacuate. I did drive around with the bail up on the coolant tank for 5 or so heat cycles to make sure I had no trapped air.

Meir 12-10-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need_for_speed (Post 519130)
Thanks guys. This is a weird one!
When I drove the car home from the dealership last January, I noticed it was making the noise, but since the heater worked great, I didn't think much of it. Shortly after, I dropped her off with a very experienced indie for a long list of projects, which included a complete cooling system flush. So if there was any air in the system, I would assume the flush and bleed he did should've done the trick, so I can't help but think this must be something else. I swear it sounds like fluid circulating.

BTW, I just have to say, I'm in awe of some of you guys, and I don't think we always thank everyone enough for jumping on here so unselfishly to help people out. I had some free time on my hands recently and I was going through some threads. Meir, if I ever need to dig into my dash, I'm buying you a round trip ticket to New England. That post you did on the dash teardown was brilliant. JC, I read your entire thread on your daughter's Boxster. That daughter of yours absolutely rocks. One talented young lady. I also live vicariously through Tom's racing thread. You guys make this forum great!

I hope you won't have to, but if you do, I'm in :D

thstone 12-10-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need_for_speed (Post 519130)
So if there was any air in the system, I would assume the flush and bleed he did should've done the trick, ...

Not necessarily. Its possible that the flush and bleed was done properly but air still got into the system. Not common, but not impossible either.

Can you record the sound and post it so we can all hear it?

Need_for_speed 12-10-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 519142)
Not necessarily. Its possible that the flush and bleed was done properly but air still got into the system. Not common, but not impossible either.

Can you record the sound and post it so we can all hear it?

Tom, I'll give it a try when I take her out tomorrow.

Too cold today! 28 deg here currently. I'm staying in my warm garage...