Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

2nd gear popout detent fix FINALLY back in stock.

Hey there Guys and Gals,

So if you have had a Boxster for any amount of time and surfed the sites, you will have no doubt heard about the dreaded 2nd gear popout issues that can sometimes crop up with these gearboxes.

The modified detent, is a cost effective way of buying time if you have experienced the issue and it is not too bad yet, and can in also prevent it if you have not experienced the issue yet.

From time to time I have these made up for everyone, and for the two of you that have been waiting on yours, they are on the way. I sent them out today. For those who have been waiting on them to get back in stock, I Finally have them done.

It took longer this time due to some new hoops I had to jump through with Porsche in getting them this time. Took three order tries to figure out what was going on, but we have them again.

Thank you for your patience, and please let me know if you would like to get one of these.

$150.00 including shipping here in the US. Paypal accepted, or you can give me a call and I can take a credit card.

Happy driving all, and please let me know if you are in need of pretty much anything. I am always here to help the group.

Erik Johnson
The Race Line
(720) 899-6005

PS I only have 8 of these left, so if you want one let me know right away.

Erik Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

As I understand it, this is only for the 6-speed manual transmission found in the Boxster S - and is not for the 5-speed transmission found in the boxster base.

Is that right?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Yes this would be to service the issues found in the 6 speed transmissions.

Erik Johnson
The Race Line
(720) 899-6005 phone
Old 12-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #4

Is anyone in need of this wonderful piece of insurance? They make a great stocking stuffer too. LOL

Erik Johnson
The Race Line
(720) 899-6005 phone
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

I installed my detent last Friday and my 2nd gear pop-out issue is completely gone. I only had the pop-out issue when the car was cold for about the first 1/4 mile of driving, and the issue only showed up about a month ago and when the temps got below freezing. I didn't want to wait for major damage to happen to the transmission, so I installed the detent ASAP.

Buy this! It works.

It took longer to put the car on my lift than it did to install it, and I had no issues installing it. It's a little tight to get in there with the exhaust and belly pans in place, but it was doable. I'm sure it would be harder without a lift, but almost everything is. Erik offered help if I needed to call him, but it was a piece of cake to install.

Thanks Erik!
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Hey there Guys and Gals,

I just wanted to let you know that if you are in need of one of these, I currently have two of them in stock and ready for immediate shipping.

Let me know if I can help.

Erik Johnson
(720) 899-6005 phone
Old 05-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

Erik,
For those of us who bought the last of the old style Detent from you, Perhaps you could describe the advantages of the latest design ? Should I dump the one I bought and fit the new one?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

No difference from the batch you grabbed and the latest one that I made up. I just had more made is all.

For those who don't know about the dreaded 2nd gear pop out, this detent basically allows for deeper engagement of the operating sleeve to the gear face. This gives a better grip to the dog ring and help prevent pop out.

If there is too much damage already though, you will need a rebuild which I can help with too if you need someone to do it.

Feel free to give me a call.

Erik Johnson
(720) 899-6005 phone
Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

My car had signs of 2nd gear popout/incomplete engagement occasionally...that of course didn't surface during my test drive.

I installed the 2nd gear popout prevention kit when doing the clutch/IMS/RMS and all has been well since. Great insurance.
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

I have noticed a little pop out from first to second on my 98 base 5 speed. Is there any equivalent for the 5 speed or another option besides a rebuild ?
Zibodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Johnson View Post
No difference from the batch you grabbed and the latest one that I made up. I just had more made is all.

For those who don't know about the dreaded 2nd gear pop out, this detent basically allows for deeper engagement of the operating sleeve to the gear face. This gives a better grip to the dog ring and help prevent pop out.

If there is too much damage already though, you will need a rebuild which I can help with too if you need someone to do it.

Feel free to give me a call.

Erik Johnson
(720) 899-6005 phone
Hi Eric, I want to purchase one of these. I just sent you a pm.

Thanks, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

A lift is certainly VERY helpful with this install. I did mine as soon as I noticed an issue. As above, mine would pop every now and then when cold for a shift or two. Works as described. I did have a slight issue getting it to fully seat as it was ever so slightly off line. It's got to be exact, and then by suction it got stuck and required some creative tool development to get it back out and properly placed. Worth the $$ IMO. As an added bonus while you are there, do your fluid as well.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #13

Garage
I just found this thread... I am experiencing the same problem when it's cold I found it difficult to engage 2nd or sometimes pops out with gridding noise... From what I read I think that the detend should be the solution for me as well.. Are there by any chance any detends left?
BoxGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #14

i don't think erik has been here in a couple of years. gbox sells them ...

2ND GEAR POP-OUT UPGRADE-GBOX Transmission
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #15

I install this fix and it corrected mine.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #16

or California Motor Sports ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #17

I just put one in and will report back with impressions.......em when all has thawed
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
or California Motor Sports ?
the cms unit is a little different; my understanding is that it requires disassembly of the transmission (vs the gbox unit that is a 10 minute job).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #19

Garage
How do we go about purchasing this part ? Can it be installed with trany in the car? Thanks,
gabedrummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
How do we go about purchasing this part ? Can it be installed with trany in the car? Thanks,
Hi Gabe, here’s a thread with the info (pics in message 8).

GBox 2nd gear detent install question

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote