Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #1

Spoiler oddly functioning.

2000 Boxster S
92,000 miles.

So for the last few thousand miles, my spoiler has been partially deploying. Even with the manual switch it will only raise about a half inch or so. I have no light coming on over 75mph so the car thinks it is deploying.

I have acquired a spoiler with all the motor and wiring and such and ready to do the swap if we think that's what it is.

I have changed the fuse and swapped the relays to no avail. I have tried lubricating it to no avail.

If we think changing the motor will help, do I need to remove the rear cover or can it be done without such ...terribleness. :ah:

Johnguelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

I don't know if you can change the spoiler without removing the rear bumper cover, but either way, removing the bumper cover is pretty easy...

First remove the bumperettes, then there are 6 bolts underneath plus 2 in the wheelwells, then you have to push out the centers of the plastic rivets that hold on the spoiler cover and remove the cover (it's plastic) to get at the three top bumper cover retaining screws. Then slide the cover back about 6 inches, and reach behind it to disconnect the license plate light harness (attaches to center of bumper cover top bracket). The removal and reinstallation process is a lot easier if you have a 2nd person.

While you have it off you might want to pop out your tail light assemblies and give everything a good cleaning. You'll be surprised how much stuff builds up under there (pollen, road dirt, etc). Check to make sure that the trunk vents and their splash shields are intact on either side. Also a good time to redirect the emergency release cable for the trunk to the left bumperette.

I think you'll need to remove the bumper cover upper mounting bracket (just 4 nuts) and that should allow you to get the spoiler out. .

I'm attaching a photo from when I had my rear bumper cover off this summer to show you what lies beneath...

Hope this helps...

Bill

Last edited by BirdDog; 11-29-2016 at 06:51 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Well that doesn't seem too bad. As long as the Michigan weather holds out tonight.
Great info and thank you for the picture as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 AM   #4

Just to close this out, it was the spoiler motor. Thanks to the photo above it made the job a breeze. Installed New (used) assembly. 2 Hours.