Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #1

New Project Time! Well, maybe...

Now that I've finished up my projector and HID conversion for my headlights, it's time to start on another project.
Since I'm trying to avoid dropping a few hundred dollars for my next project(s) (IE, new tail lights, clear side markers, clear third brake light, new exhaust, etc), I'm looking to do something to make the driving a bit more enjoyable in this horrible Florida heat.

Solution? Vented/cooled seats.
I'm fairly certain a lot of newer Porsches offer this as a standard feature, with fans built in to the seat to keep you cool. However, I don't know of any seats I could just drop in that would have that functionality, nor would I expect it to be cheap.

I'm going to start small and simple. I have bought a spare seat insert and I will be taking it apart, cutting/modifying the foam, and inserting (likely) 6 3 inch (90 mm) computer fans in to the foam. Putting on a layer of mesh material and a small spacer material, and hoping the original leather will still fit.
If it doesn't? Try to convince my best friend's wife to make me one that will fit.

If the forums are interested in this, I'll take pictures throughout the process and document everything I do to get it to work.
This project should be started within the week, just waiting on the seat insert to come in so I can see how it comes apart.

JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #2

some guys in the w211 mb forum upgraded their seat fans. I believe they used 90mm fans that really moved some air but were kinda noisy (less of an issue in a box). Interesting project, good luck.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:26 AM   #3

I think most automakers now are using ventilated seats.
fredd5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:10 AM   #4

Have you seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCV9YQ2W5fg
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

That's more or less what I'm planning to do, but only in the seat insert for the back.

JoeMartin is offline   Reply With Quote