Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Headlight assembly retaining bracket....have you changed or installed one ?

After replacing my bad ballast I remembered that the driver's side of my car was the one the two Deer hit several years ago, my bracket that holds the headlight in place is broken. The plug part is broken so I have to wrangle my giant meat hook hand in behind to plug the headlight in when reinstalling. Who here has replaced one ? it looks really simple ....looks is there any alignment issues ??

Thinking about doing this as I cant stand the thought of the bracket being broken on the inside (yeah I know too OCD)

Thanks

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have never replaced the bracket, but I have tried to adjust it. The way it mounts and adjusts is a pain in the rear. I was never able to adjust it the way I wanted it. I think someone on here posted a diagram or how-to a few years back. I'm not sure how you'd word it to find it on here though.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Not sure if this'll help: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Litronic Headlamp Installation - Page 7

If you're talking about the male plug that the headlamp plugs into when you push it in, I've had to replace the clip that holds male plug to the plastic post, and Porsche sells that clip. If the post itself is broken, then you'd have to figure out how to resecure it or buy a new plate.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Not sure if this'll help: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Litronic Headlamp Installation - Page 7

If you're talking about the male plug that the headlamp plugs into when you push it in, I've had to replace the clip that holds male plug to the plastic post, and Porsche sells that clip. If the post itself is broken, then you'd have to figure out how to resecure it or buy a new plate.
Its the post, I cleaned it and glued it back together and let it sit for 3 days....broke as soon as the light started to seat
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

I had to reinstall one last winter after having my fender repainted. It was an enormous PITA to get the headlight to sit right. The problem is that you can't tighten it with the headlight in it so it's a lot of guess and check. I remember having to add some small washers under a few of the corners to get the height of the headlight perfectly flush with the fender. All in all it took me like 3 hours but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote