986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Headlight assembly retaining bracket....have you changed or installed one ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64424-headlight-assembly-retaining-bracket-have-you-changed-installed-one.html)

Pdwight 11-21-2016 03:25 PM

Headlight assembly retaining bracket....have you changed or installed one ?

After replacing my bad ballast I remembered that the driver's side of my car was the one the two Deer hit several years ago, my bracket that holds the headlight in place is broken. The plug part is broken so I have to wrangle my giant meat hook hand in behind to plug the headlight in when reinstalling. Who here has replaced one ? it looks really simple ....looks is there any alignment issues ??

Thinking about doing this as I cant stand the thought of the bracket being broken on the inside (yeah I know too OCD)

Thanks

Dwight

tommy583 11-21-2016 04:07 PM

I have never replaced the bracket, but I have tried to adjust it. The way it mounts and adjusts is a pain in the rear. I was never able to adjust it the way I wanted it. I think someone on here posted a diagram or how-to a few years back. I'm not sure how you'd word it to find it on here though.

Boxtaboy 11-21-2016 05:01 PM

Not sure if this'll help: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Litronic Headlamp Installation - Page 7

If you're talking about the male plug that the headlamp plugs into when you push it in, I've had to replace the clip that holds male plug to the plastic post, and Porsche sells that clip. If the post itself is broken, then you'd have to figure out how to resecure it or buy a new plate.

Pdwight 11-21-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy (Post 517345)
Not sure if this'll help: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Litronic Headlamp Installation - Page 7

If you're talking about the male plug that the headlamp plugs into when you push it in, I've had to replace the clip that holds male plug to the plastic post, and Porsche sells that clip. If the post itself is broken, then you'd have to figure out how to resecure it or buy a new plate.

Its the post, I cleaned it and glued it back together and let it sit for 3 days....broke as soon as the light started to seat

boxxster 11-21-2016 06:44 PM

I had to reinstall one last winter after having my fender repainted. It was an enormous PITA to get the headlight to sit right. The problem is that you can't tighten it with the headlight in it so it's a lot of guess and check. I remember having to add some small washers under a few of the corners to get the height of the headlight perfectly flush with the fender. All in all it took me like 3 hours but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.