Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Keys & Keyless Entry Questions

How can I tell if my 2001 Boxster has keyless entry? It only came with a key that opens the doors manually and has the push button light on the plastic part of the key.

cm123077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #2

Not sure if all Boxsters came with key-less entry or not, but I think you can tell by looking at your option sticker - located on the inside of your front trunk hood. It lists the options that your car came with from the factory.

Then you can look up those options, either online (search for Boxster Option Codes), or by checking the PET (parts book).

For the parts book, do a search on the internet for 986_USA_KATALOG.pdf and download it (always a good idea to have a copy of the PET).

Then towards the back of the PET there's a list of options beginning on page 447. The codes you want to look at are M524 thru M536.

IF your car has key-less entry it's going to cost you a bit of money to get that working. You'll need to buy a new key fob and then have the car programmed (by a Porsche dealer) to work with it.

There are 3 parts to a key-less entry key, the key itself (metal part), the key-less entry circuit board which has 2 or more buttons located inside the fob, and the immobilizer chip located inside a tiny glass tube inside the fob. A good locksmith can cut the key (metal part) but a dealer has to program the car to work with the fob's circuit board and immobilizer chip.

HEADS-UP: a new key must have the paper tag that came with the key fob from the factory in order for the dealer to program the car to work with it. The tag will have a barcode and a programming code on it. Without the tag you are just buying some spare parts (case, switches).

Hope this helps, and if I got any of this wrong, someone please chime in and I'll correct it.

Bill
Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #3

If the key is the original key and if your car has the keyless entry installed try this simple trick. I'm going to assume you have a healthy battery in the key. Unlock the car manually and get in, place the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position but do NOT engage the starter. Hold the button down on the key for aprox. 5-7 seconds. Release the button and turn the ignition off. Now hit the button and see if the door locks work. This scenario recently worked for me when my key stopped activating the keyless entry . Good luck .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

rfuerst911sc: He said his key only has a button for a light - I assumed that kind of a key fob doesn't have a transmitter inside but maybe I'm wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
If the key is the original key and if your car has the keyless entry installed try this simple trick. I'm going to assume you have a healthy battery in the key. Unlock the car manually and get in, place the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position but do NOT engage the starter. Hold the button down on the key for aprox. 5-7 seconds. Release the button and turn the ignition off. Now hit the button and see if the door locks work. This scenario recently worked for me when my key stopped activating the keyless entry . Good luck .
Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

Keyless entry was an option on the early cars, and a 2001 car with it would have a three button key head.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
MistySeas

Mine came the same way and I am trying to find out if it can be converted to a remote entry. Has anyone done this?
MistySeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Check your options sticker to see if your car has it. If not, you may have to ask a Porsche tech if it's something that can be enabled or if extra equipment is required. Either way, it's going to be a minimum $500 job.

It's a lot easier to just add an aftermarket keyless entry, IMO.
3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistySeas View Post
Mine came the same way and I am trying to find out if it can be converted to a remote entry. Has anyone done this?
In general, this is a "the view ain't worth the climb" project to take it to factory specs. If the car did not have it as an option, several components and some wiring are involved, and the car will need to be coded by the factory computer to make it all work. The parts will not be cheap, and there will be several hours work.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Yeah, the option code sticker is missing under the hood. That's not helping. I guess I'll keep poking around. I'd imagine there would be a fuse for the keyless entry somewhere. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for the help.
cm123077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #10

Ok, since your option sticker is missing, you can try this...

From what I am seeing in the PET for 2001 (page 387), your car will have an immobilizer control unit with one of these two part numbers:

986.618.262.01 (M531 - no keyless entry)

996.618.262.03 (M535 - keyless entry)

To determine which one you have, you'll need to remove the drivers seat and check the part number on the control unit which is bolted to the floor under the drivers seat.

If your car has the .03 part, then I think it's just a matter of buying a new key and having the dealer program the car to accept it. Still not cheap (around $200) but a lot cheaper than adding keyless to your car if it never had it.

Here's an ebay seller with a 3-button fob that should work if you have option M535:

Porsche Boxster 2001-2004 and 996 Targa Key remote | eBay

Not saying you should buy it from them, but that's what you should be looking for.

I can't imagine it would cost a lot more than that from the dealer.

Again, all this is moot though if your car didn't come with the option code M535 control unit.

Hope this helps, or at least gets you pointed in the right direction...

Bill
Old 11-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
MistySeas

So I went to the dealer with he same question Friday and they said No the fob with he flashlight cannot be converted to remote entry without a major conversion that would not be worth it. Bummer I was hoping to do the same thing. If you find anything else different please let me know.
MistySeas

MistySeas is offline   Reply With Quote