Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #1

Smile GAHH - Talk about fast service!

I ordered a replacement top with glass window for my '02 S and was pleasantly surprised to receive it the following day! Pretty amazing service, especially considering shipping was free. Anyway, just wanted to compliment one of this forum's fine advertisers.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #2

I now highly recommend GAHH. I just had a replacement top installed at no cost to me because the original one was defective.

Although I am having a wierd issue with the velcro straps on one side of the top fequently coming undone and hanging out. I'm not sure if I will have to sew it to fix the problem or what. My last one did the same thing. Anyone else have this problem with the GAHH top?
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Yes Porschekid, Im having the same problem with my GAHH top. I now have the threads missing from both sides and no connection with the metal frame. When raising my top, the edges sometimes don't properly align in the black grooves above the window. I haven't had time to try to get this issue resolved. Let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks,

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 04-13-2006 at 05:34 PM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #4

You both need to contact GAHH and get them to resolve it!

I'm waiting for all these bugs to get worked out before I buy one. Thank God for you trend setters!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #5

As we used to say in the corporate world, never be a pioneer!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #6

i just had my GAHH top installed and have not noticed any hanging velcro straps..do you have a picture...my tops seems to work fine..
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
You're right Randall, I need to work to get this resolved. I'm leaving tomorrow evening to go on a trip (unfortunately I'm not taking the Box). When I return next week I will contact GAHH and see what they suggest. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Like Porschekid, I love the top! Even with this problem, I would MUCH rather have the glass top and not have to worry about polishing plastic or worry about the plastic window cracking. Although I seldom need it (not a daily driver), I love having the electric defrost feature.

docdyh, the threads in the loops that failed in my top didn't happen immediately. Hopefully you will not have this problem in the future. Sorry I don't have any pictures. If you lower the top about half-way, you can see the fabric loops that attach to metal tubing in the top frame. At least it is visible in my base car. It may not be visible in a S with the headliner.

ddb
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #8

Big Favor

Rob from GAHH here.

I wonder if someone could do me a favor on this velcro issue. We have not heard of it before. Would someone be willing to send me a digital picture of the issue? Please send it to rb@gahh.com. There is some velcro adjacent to the cable piping, but we can't see how it would "hang down." We have done plenty of installations here, but have never seen that issue, so we would like to learn more.

I am sure we can take care of the problem, once we understand it better.

Thanks,

Rob
GAHHtopsseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHHtopsseats
Rob from GAHH here.

I wonder if someone could do me a favor on this velcro issue. We have not heard of it before. Would someone be willing to send me a digital picture of the issue? Please send it to rb@gahh.com. There is some velcro adjacent to the cable piping, but we can't see how it would "hang down." We have done plenty of installations here, but have never seen that issue, so we would like to learn more.

I am sure we can take care of the problem, once we understand it better.

Thanks,

Rob
I'll try to get some pictures as soon as I can. These straps are used I believe to guide the canvas top inside of the plastic edges. They are right above the side windows and loop over the metal bar. I believe at some point in the raising or lowering of the top that these straps get streched farther than the velcro is able to hold.
On my old top, after reattaching them many times It finaly ripped the velcro off of the strap. With the exception of this, the top is excellent quality. I am half tempted to just cut them off but I dont want the top to go over the outside of the plastic edges instead of the inside.
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:12 AM   #10

Any updates on this problem?
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hake, et. al,

I contacted Rob from GAHH and he put me in touch with Jack, also at GAHH. Jack contacted my installer by phone (who he knew) and gave my installer some areas to check that could potentially be causing my problems.

While looking around my top my installer discovered a small pin that had broken or was just missing. I don't know how to describe the mechansim where the missing pin is suppose to be located, so I'm attaching a couple of pictures. One is from the passenger side and shows the pin in place. The other shows the missing pin. These areas are approximately to the left of your head if you are in the drivers seat and to the right of your head if you are sitting in the passenger side.

A few weeks ago I ordered the needed part, but unfortunately my parts guy ordered the wrong part. Just today I picked up the correct part. I will install it this weekend and hopefully find out if this was the problem, or not.

I will let you know the final outcome soon.

ddb
Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #12

Hope you get the problem resolved without too much more hassle. I didn't have the problem with Velcro straps fortunately, so maybe it is those pins.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #13

My factory top has some elastic bands that are secured in place with that pin. Your new top doesn't look like it has any retaining bands. Are they elsewhere or unneeded?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #14

I will have to check for those pins... the straps dont have the problem as much as my previous top but I am having an intermittent problem with my canvas on the passenger side going over top the plastic guard instead of inside of it... I then have to open it up again and guide it to the proper location.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Hake, et. al,

I contacted Rob from GAHH and he put me in touch with Jack, also at GAHH. Jack contacted my installer by phone (who he knew) and gave my installer some areas to check that could potentially be causing my problems.

While looking around my top my installer discovered a small pin that had broken or was just missing. I don't know how to describe the mechansim where the missing pin is suppose to be located, so I'm attaching a couple of pictures. One is from the passenger side and shows the pin in place. The other shows the missing pin. These areas are approximately to the left of your head if you are in the drivers seat and to the right of your head if you are sitting in the passenger side.

A few weeks ago I ordered the needed part, but unfortunately my parts guy ordered the wrong part. Just today I picked up the correct part. I will install it this weekend and hopefully find out if this was the problem, or not.

I will let you know the final outcome soon.

ddb
Interesting. I had one of the early tops and just recently (after about 18 months on the car) The right side would occasionaly go outside the plastic rails on the right side when I raised the top. I couldn't replicate it at will so I was never able to have it checked, but it did happen often enough. Coincidentally, that (early) top recently had the glass separation problem and my installer replaced it immediately with a new GAHH top a couple weeks ago. I was checking it out this weekend and saw those pins. They're not in there very tight. It's extremely easy to pull them out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they could fall out on their own. Are they supposed to be that loose?
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #16

Can anyone tell me if those pins screw out or just pull out? I don't want to damage them by turning when I should be pulling or vise versa.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #17

Well, I hope they get it sorted, I am having a GAHH top installed this week,

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
All,

I replaced the missing pin this weekend (on the passenger side). Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. Like most of the accounts I've heard, the problem with my top closing on the outside of the groove happens predominantly on my passenger side. It closed correctly immediately after installing the missing pin, but failed to close properly the next 2 times.

There isn't much holding the pins in place. They don't screw in, but are simply held in by pressure from the contact with 2 little tabs that are part of the piece behind the hole where the pin rests. You can simply pull them out, and easily reinsert them. The good news is they are only 70 cents or so, if you are missing one.

I don't know if my original top had the elastic band Randall, but my GAHH top definitely doesn't. When I was trying to describe to my parts guy what I needed, we looked at a Boxster in the service bay, and it didn't have the elastic bands either (I don't know if the top was original).

The parts guy told me he's seen the problem before and has watched the service technicians partially lower the top and push the whole top assembly on one side until the top raises correctly.

I'm not sure what to try next. I will have another look this weekend. If anyone has any solutions or ideas, please let us know.

Thanks,

ddb
Old 06-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #19

When I asked my installer about the top going outside the rail on the passenger side he said that they do add an extra piece of elastic in order to help pull the edges in. I interpreted that as his shop adding something extra, but since I'm apparently not the only one whith these bands I guess it's something in the GAHH top. I don't know if the OEM top had them.

The tops are great, but those little pins are weak with how easily they can be popped out. It's nothing anyone will notice unless there's some problem that makes them start poking around (or they happen to be reading one of these boards), but once you know they're there it does seem like a cheap part.

CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote