986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My (feels like a) new car! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64253-my-feels-like-new-car.html)

dghii 11-08-2016 09:08 PM

My (feels like a) new car!

Back story...
I've owned my 2000 BoxS for over 8 years now....purchased with 76K miles, now with almost 132K. Although I love looking at newer cars...especially Boxsters, I have three, count 'em THREE boys in college right now. A newer car of any sort is not really in the cards.

Like lots on the forums, my car had the track arm rattle....not at all unexpected given the age and mileage of the car. Being a cheap SOB (apparently) I tried swapping my track arms for some used ones I picked up from a part out a few years ago. The new, used parts did nothing to help the problem.

Next, I took my original track arms apart, repacked the grease and used a punch to 'tighten' the joint as I'd seen online. Unfortunately, the experiment was not successful.

Only good thing was I was getting pretty quick at doing the replacement.

Last week, I broke out the credit card and picked up a couple of new TRW track arms ($107 each). The arms arrived today and I installed them and anxiously took my first drive....

Success!! My car sounds quite and rattle free. It's so nice and I cannot recommend this job enough. I've always been impressed with how rattle and squeak free my soon to be 17 year old car was, with the exception of the low speed track arm rumble. The new track arms truly makes the car feel 10 years newer. Its great!

I haven't had a car payment in many, many years. This $214 investment is less than half of most folks monthly car payment. Money well spent!

BirdDog 11-09-2016 12:24 AM

Good job!

I did the same to my car last year and it really quieted it down. I went with the 987 track arms (they look identical except for the part numbers and date code cast into them).

DrCactus 11-09-2016 02:54 AM

Good stuff, you should create a DIY so the rest of us can learn from your experiences... 3 kids in college - how can you even afford food or gas ???

KevinH1990 11-09-2016 03:06 AM

I have the same rattle, and I would appreciate a DIY. (I am also funding my daughter's education, so a new car is not an option.)

Luckyed 11-09-2016 03:18 AM

My local Indy here wanted almost $1000 to do mine.
(I hate to think what a dealer would charge)

I got a lot of good advice before doing mine from StevedOx.
My kids are already out of college, but that doesn't mean I have money to burn.......

PaulE 11-09-2016 06:04 AM

Is this DIY from StevedOx for the same thing? Trailing arms, track arms, not lower control arms, I'm all confused!

jb92563 11-09-2016 06:05 AM

Thats awesome. I also have this annoying rattle and if I had thought about it sooner I would have taken care of it while I had my transmission out for the clutch change.

I wonder if the replacement parts would be the same for the 2001 "S" model?

No kids, no wife, no alimony, no car payments and later this year no mortgage either, but a girlfriend can be costly too with a Boob overhaul in the 5k-10k range ;)

steved0x 11-09-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulE (Post 516012)
Is this DIY from StevedOx for the same thing? Trailing arms, track arms, not lower control arms, I'm all confused!

It is the same thing, although on looking back at it, it is more of a "follow my journey as I try two or three approaches and document them all, and finally settling on a right approach :) " It really isn't too bad of a job. Back the car up on some ramps, get under there, and remove 2 bolts and get that arm out and the new one in. Torquing up to the 118 ft/lbs was tough as it is kind of awkward under there. You can also jack up the rear and put on some jack stands, and then use the jack the raise and lower the suspension to get things to line up.

I found a new website the other day, a 996 Register, and it has an embedded video showing one technique on how to check the arms. The person in the video hits them with a rubber mallet, and the bad one makes a metallic pinging noise, while the good one does not. Here is the page with the video:

MAINTENANCE - Porsche 996

Note that I haven't tried this and I didn't try it on my DIY.

Need_for_speed 11-09-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 516013)
No kids, no wife, no alimony, no car payments and later this year no mortgage either, but a girlfriend can be costly too with a Boob overhaul in the 5k-10k range ;)

Standing by the DIY on the overhaul....:)

steved0x 11-09-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Yes, the track arms are the same across the 986 Models with an except for the very earliest models which originally came with a different type of end to replace the monoball bushing, but that old part number has been superceded with the newer style.

Meir 11-09-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Thats awesome. I also have this annoying rattle and if I had thought about it sooner I would have taken care of it while I had my transmission out for the clutch change.

that's money well spend :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 515973)
Back story...
I've owned my 2000 BoxS for over 8 years now....purchased with 76K miles, now with almost 132K. Although I love looking at newer cars...especially Boxsters, I have three, count 'em THREE boys in college right now. A newer car of any sort is not really in the cards.

Like lots on the forums, my car had the track arm rattle....not at all unexpected given the age and mileage of the car. Being a cheap SOB (apparently) I tried swapping my track arms for some used ones I picked up from a part out a few years ago. The new, used parts did nothing to help the problem.

Next, I took my original track arms apart, repacked the grease and used a punch to 'tighten' the joint as I'd seen online. Unfortunately, the experiment was not successful.

Only good thing was I was getting pretty quick at doing the replacement.

Last week, I broke out the credit card and picked up a couple of new TRW track arms ($107 each). The arms arrived today and I installed them and anxiously took my first drive....

Success!! My car sounds quite and rattle free. It's so nice and I cannot recommend this job enough. I've always been impressed with how rattle and squeak free my soon to be 17 year old car was, with the exception of the low speed track arm rumble. The new track arms truly makes the car feel 10 years newer. Its great!

I haven't had a car payment in many, many years. This $214 investment is less than half of most folks monthly car payment. Money well spent!

where did you buy the parts?

steved0x 11-09-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 516027)
that's money well spend :D

where did you buy the parts?

My guess is Amazon:

986 Boxster TRW equivalent: TRW JTC1186 Control arm:
986 TRW JTC1186

987 Boxster TRW equivalent: TRW JTC1316 Control arm:
987 TRW JTC1316

They often seem to say out of stock but when I ordered mine they came in less than 2 weeks.

BruceH 11-09-2016 11:36 AM

I just did mine a few weeks ago and can highly recommend that anyone who has not done this but is tired of hearing the clunks, just do it! Follow Steved0x's great DIY :cheers:

Meir 11-09-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 516028)
My guess is Amazon:

986 Boxster TRW equivalent: TRW JTC1186 Control arm:
986 TRW JTC1186

987 Boxster TRW equivalent: TRW JTC1316 Control arm:
987 TRW JTC1316

They often seem to say out of stock but when I ordered mine they came in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks.
i need to replace the rears on my 996, which are the same as the boxster's fronts.
i'm on the fence between the TRW and the EPS with the polyurethane.

crooster 11-09-2016 04:35 PM

Yup, did this myself a few weeks back after procrastinating for a few years. Time and money well spent!

B6T 11-09-2016 05:12 PM

Has anyone attempted replacing (pressing-out/pressing-in) just the bushing on the track arm? This is the only wear component on the whole part, it seems a waste to discard the whole part if the bushing can be replaced.

dghii 11-09-2016 05:22 PM

First things first...my reference to track arms are the same thing as the trailing arms referenced in StevedOx's DYI. Boxster suspension part names are confusing or ambiguous at best. What some may correctly call Track arms (coffin arms with the lower ball joint) is not what I did on this job (have done it though).

Parts were off Amazon.

Should have cut to the chase and installed them years ago!

steved0x 11-09-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 516059)
Thanks.
i need to replace the rears on my 996, which are the same as the boxster's fronts.
i'm on the fence between the TRW and the EPS with the polyurethane.

The 996 takes the same arm all 4 corners, and is the same as 986 boxster fronts like you say. Outside of EPS/vertex and no name brands there is not

much available.

But... This part matches 997 rear arms, 99733104301 that is widely available both TRW and Meyle at around $100 each.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clone-porsche-suspension-control-arm-911-37143017001

Looks like the price went up a little. Other vendors may have a better price.

I am running the TRW part on my car and can confirm it is a match. (I ordered Meyle and they sent TRW by mistake so I used them)

Steve

steved0x 11-09-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B6T (Post 516074)
Has anyone attempted replacing (pressing-out/pressing-in) just the bushing on the track arm? This is the only wear component on the whole part, it seems a waste to discard the whole part if the bushing can be replaced.

I don't think anyone offers this service with a monoball bushing like OEM, but EPS/Vertex replaces the monoball with a poly bushing. In my opinion the poly bushing allows more movement than the monoball bushings which could allow the wheels to move in unintended directions under heavy load. I think the earliest arms on the first Boxsters used this style of arm which was then superceded by the monoball arm.

There are some pressable monoballs available to replace some of the other traditional bushings in the suspension but each one costs more than a whole new track arm :) maybe that why nobody makes them :(

Anker 11-10-2016 03:39 AM

What I am really interested in knowing is whether the suspension needs to be loaded or unleaded when replacing the arm, and also whether it is possible to replace it without removing the brakes. On the diagrams it looks like it should be possible.

Thanks-Anker