986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water Pump: Transfer from Old to New Engine? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64229-water-pump-transfer-old-new-engine.html)

Cbonilla 11-07-2016 01:41 PM

Water Pump: Transfer from Old to New Engine?

If you've been following my saga, I've just ordered a used engine with 41k miles to replace the one with 106k in my 2003 Boxster S.

Reviewing my service records, I see that the water pump was replaced just 13k miles and 23 months ago.

Is there value in moving the pump over from the old engine to the new? I'm trying to keep the total build cost down, but not if it doesn't make sense. I assume that it would need a new gasket, but is there a lot of labor involved in the swap before the new engine is installed? What is the recommended change frequency?

Thoughts?

JayG 11-07-2016 01:55 PM

Yes, you can move it

A new Pierburg pump with gasket can be found for around $200

YMMV

JFP in PA 11-07-2016 02:39 PM

I would not reinstall the old pump. New ones are not that expensive and you don't want to be doing it again to two weeks.

heliguy 11-07-2016 03:37 PM

Transfer the one from your blown engine, it has known miles on it. The one that came with your new engine could have as many as 41 thousand. Have you thought about installing an underdrive pulley while he's in there?

PaulE 11-07-2016 05:07 PM

I guess you have to weigh the cost of a gasket plus the cost of your mechanic removing the water pump off the old engine, and cleaning its gasket surface, vs. just putting a new water pump on the new engine.

dghii 11-07-2016 05:23 PM

why not just remove the WP from old engine and keep it for safekeeping if new one takes a dump.

thstone 11-07-2016 08:44 PM

I'd install a new water pump. They're not particularly expensive and it can't take more than 15 mins while the engine is out of the car.

BirdDog 11-08-2016 02:22 AM

No.

Install a new PierBurg - they are the OEM supplier for Porsche pumps for the Boxster. It will be 1/2 the price of the Porsche one. Or pay the extra $200+ for the Porsche one and you'll get to keep a cool Porsche branded cardboard box.

I wouldn't save the 13K pump as a spare.

Make sure the pump that's used has plastic impeller blades.

Cbonilla 11-08-2016 02:52 AM

Haven't made up my mind yet, but I am sure of a few things

With unknown history on the "new" pump it will get replaced
I am risk averse, so if I replace it with new it will be an OEM part

Will it be obvious looking at the engine if the pump has been already replaced at some point in its life?

DWBOX2000 11-08-2016 05:14 AM

They are not particularly hard to replace with engine in car. Heck I did it and I am hardly a good DIY. A couple hours with jack stands.

Meir 11-08-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbonilla (Post 515881)

Will it be obvious looking at the engine if the pump has been already replaced at some point in its life?

usually if the pump was replaced, the gasket is going to be cut in the center.
read this article to better understand:

Porsche Boxster Water Pump and Thermostat Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

focus on figure 3

dghii 11-08-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbonilla (Post 515881)

You can tell by the gasket but I'm not sure you can tell without removing the WP. If the WP gasket is 'uncut', you have an original WP.

Cbonilla 11-08-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 515916)
usually if the pump was replaced, the gasket is going to be cut in the center.
read this article to better understand:

Porsche Boxster Water Pump and Thermostat Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

focus on figure 3

Thanks, I'll inspect the engine when it comes in

Cbonilla 11-08-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 515918)
You can tell by the gasket but I'm not sure you can tell without removing the WP. If the WP gasket is 'uncut', you have an original WP.

Thanks, I'll inspect the engine when it comes in

dghii 11-08-2016 04:37 PM

I apologize...missed that the info had already been posted.

Rok986 11-10-2016 11:21 AM

Id say just replace it. Had mine go out while I was on a road trip to Oregon. Luckily i was able to find the part and install it borrowing my friends tools, but almost had to extend my trip if i couldn't find the part or have the necessary tools! Planning to just preemptively replace mine every few years from now on just in case!